Director, Advancement Systems and Reporting
Job Description Summary
The Director, Advancement Systems & Reporting, reports to the
Assistant Vice President, University Advancement. The Director
supports the operational implementation of technology strategy and
executes the direction and work priorities for the fulfillment of
Advancement's strategic objectives and the technical stability of
the division. The Director has a significant impact on
Advancement's ability to meet long and short-term objectives.
The Director is responsible for driving and enhancing the
efficiency and effectiveness of Advancement systems and technology.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees all aspects related to the management, development,
maintenance, and support of core business applications and
integrations within University Advancement, including internal and
external end users of these applications.
- Oversees custom report and dashboard development helping to
ensure users receive the critical information necessary to achieve
the financial and engagement goals of UA.
- Works with other UA leadership on the development of strategic
plans, setting project priorities, implementing technology
initiatives, and supporting key technologies that strengthen and
promote the goals of University Advancement and the
- Manages overall data architecture and integrity for constituent
- Analyzes data to improve data structures and tables, values and
relationships based on an expert understanding of the data needs of
the various units within UA.
- Directs the day to day operations of the business unit
responsible for constituent data design, collection, storage
management and reporting
- Works collaboratively with colleagues inside of UA and in other
university business units to determine data needs and to identify
- Oversees the project engagement for technology initiatives and
is in charge of managing the implementation and on-going support of
- Works closely with the application developers in IT to manage
data integrations with other systems within UA as well as other
- Monitors compliance with audit standards.
- Creates an environment that values diversity and promotes
teamwork and mutual collaboration.
- Makes sound decisions, exercise good judgement, and examines
existing issues in new ways.
- In charge of reporting to peer surveys, VSE, US News, and
- Oversees the maintenance, completeness, accuracy and
accessibility of information in a UA primary CRM database with a
constituency of 150,000 records.
- Lead CRM implementation projects
- Supervises the Manager, Advancement Applications
- Oversees all aspects related to the day-to-day management,
development, maintenance, and support of core business applications
including documentation and end user support
- Oversees system administration of core business applications
and future technology initiatives.
- Ensures technical and organizational processes, strategies and
directions are being followed and makes recommendations regarding
the strategic direction of the Advancement Information Services
- Manage overall data architecture and integrity for constituent
- Oversees the design and creation of query and database
structures and ensures that processes and systems are documented
according to established standards
- Oversees all external business applications but not limited to,
Millennium CRM, Anthology (iModules), Evertrue, Tableau, Cognos,
Handshake, and more; including oversight of system integration with
other Bentley Systems
- Bachelor's degree required. Minimum of seven to ten years of
administrative, analytical, financial and managerial experience,
preferably in higher education.
- Demonstrates a customer service orientation and focus;
- Understands the role of Advancement Information Systems within
University Advancement and constantly seek to improve the services
the team provides;
- Must grasp complex technical issues and synthesize them into
standards/policies for project management;
- Considers financial impact to the University of work activities
- Initiates and/or incorporates new work methods, processes, and
- Plans and organizes work effectively;
- Learns and uses technology applications that improve
- Acts as coach (as appropriate) to help others learn new
- Rethinks work activities to incorporate new technologies;
- Displays an openness to change;
- Exhibits project teamwork abilities, valuing and developing the
work and skills of the project team;
- Possesses excellent written and interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of Advancement CRMs (Millennium
- Experience in developing reports using Business Intelligence
tools: SQL, SSRS, Cognos, Tableau and BI publisher;
- Experience in developing, querying, and maintaining relational
- Strong background in analysis, design, development, testing and
support in advancement information systems with an emphasis on data
- Excellent analytical skills for report specification
development; must be able to communicate well with end users in
order to translate their reporting needs;
- Ability to document code and systems according to established
- Broad knowledge of industry best practices in data reporting
and data modeling;
- Successful supervisory experience focused on setting
priorities, managing, and motivating staff;
- Proven competency with database structures.
- Experience working in University Advancement.
- Ability to manage a staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships
within University Advancement and across the University.
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis skills.
- Strong training skills.
- Integrity, honesty, discretion in handling confidential
- Strongly self-motivated, eager to learn and take advantage of
- Also, must have good oral and written communication skills, an
aptitude for working with numerical data, an ability to work
independently with careful attention to detail, a respect for the
confidentiality of donor records and a customer service focus.
- Typical office setting with extensive computer work and
- Ability to travel within and outside of campus for work related
meetings and events, travel may occur outside of normal business
hours including nights and weekends
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that
welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values
differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building
strength through diversity. The University is committed to building
a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the
diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications
from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences