Explore a unique career for two—working with your spouse and
impacting the lives of youth!
Founded in 1909 by chocolate maker Milton Hershey and his wife
Catherine, Milton Hershey School transforms the lives of
lower-income children through a cost-free, high-quality education
and structured home life.
Married houseparent couples are the school’s heartbeat and are
vital to students’ success. Couples reside with eight-12 students
in their student homes and provide caring homes away from home. The
school provides extensive resources to support houseparents so they
can focus on their students.
Learn more about MHS and houseparenting on
our website and YouTube channel.
Day in the Life of…
Twelve consecutive days on, followed by three consecutive days
off—Houseparents are on duty in the morning as they prepare
students for the day. While the students are in school,
houseparents have personal time before going back on duty
when the students return from school. Afternoons and evenings are
busy with after-school activities, chores, meals, homework, and
more. Equally as important are the character development and life
lessons houseparents instill in students. Weekends include
recreational activities and required attendance at a
non-denominational Sunday chapel service. Summertime provides more
- Competitive salary—$73,180 minimum starting salary per
- Housing and utilities are included.
- Free meals while on duty.
- Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, prescription,
and eye coverage, 403b savings program, three weeks of paid summer
vacation, and more.
- Relocation assistance and paid training.
- The opportunity to live in the “Sweetest Place on Earth” and
change the lives of others.
Houseparent couples must be/have:
- Age 27 or older.
- Legally married for three years or more.
- High school diplomas or GED.
- Valid driver’s licenses in good standing and both spouses
willing to drive a nine-passenger van.
- Demonstrated success working with youth—houseparents ensure
students’ well-being physically, socially, emotionally, and
- Administrative skills including basic computer and budgeting
- Houseparents may have up to two dependents residing with
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff
are considered to be role models for students.
- Only fish and some breeds of dogs are permitted.
Please note—We are currently accepting applications for Flex
Houseparents with an anticipated start date of February
2022. The selection process is extensive and takes several
months. Thank you in advance for your patience and collaboration
throughout the process.
Not the right job for you but still interested in Milton Hershey
School? We hire quality employees in many diverse roles and
encourage you to learn
more and view our full list of current openings.