Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Vice
President (SVP) is a top-tier, newly created senior leadership
position that oversees Arabella’s provision of fiscal sponsorship
support services. The executive in this role will be responsible
for the directives, design, and implementation of an innovative,
efficient, and exceptional client service strategy that includes
the oversight of over 220 programmatic, administrative, financial,
and HR-focused staff. The SVP’s direct reports will be senior
leaders themselves, and a fluency and level of experience with
scaling shared services is critical to the successful assessment,
design, and application of a framework and strategy for Managed
Organizations (MO) that will advance the efficiency of complex
processes and result in outstanding client services within a
heavily matrixed working environment.
In addition to overall senior team leadership, this person will
manage important stakeholder relationships with Arabella’s
Executive Team, the Business Development Leadership Team, and
leaders within the nonprofit clients we support. The person will
join the Executive Team, and direct reports will include a team of
Managed Organizations Senior Directors with responsibility for
client service, operations, accounting across the Managed
The SVP will oversee 220 staff responsible for a significant
multi-million-dollar portfolio working closely with the business
development team to advance the design and development of an
efficient reporting structure and related processes and
Arabella will look to the SVP for a high level of understanding
and analysis regarding its approach to client service, a dedication
to investing in the next generation of team leadership and talent,
and the technology acumen to ensure unified and cohesive client and
staff relationships. While this person focuses on scale through
technological investments and other growth strategies, there will
also be significant P&L management responsibilities.
12-18 month priorities for this role include the following:
- Update Managed Organization’s strategic vision to closely align
with Arabella’s recently developed firmwide strategy and operating
- Structure and systemize functions across MO to deliver
excellent client service in a way that is replicable and
- Develop a clear perspective on systems, technology, and process
improvement investments and ensure the realization of measurable
results on those investments.
Primary responsibilities are outlined in the following areas:
Client Service Strategy, Talent and Technology Strategy, and
Relationship Management and Business Development:
Client Service Strategy (50%):
- Refine and implement MO team’s multi-year strategic vision
including development and growth potential toward the fulfillment
of annual team objectives to ensure the team sets and meets its
- Align the MO business, including MO staff and the business
development team, around achieving shared business results
alongside Arabella’s multi-year strategy.
- Lead integration efforts across MO departments, including
finance, compliance, and the HR client service team ensuring
streamlined decision-making and a mutual commitment to excellent
client service and cultural cohesion.
- Ensure that client service strategy, standards, and tools are
clear, consistent, and aligned to accommodate significant scaling
potential and the delivery of high-quality service.
- Partner with others to meet new client service needs, including
the development of new services.
- Oversee pricing and scoping strategies and manage P&L and
budget for the MO team.
Talent and Technology Strategy (25%):
- Oversee talent strategy to ensure that the staffing plan meets
- Directly supervise and contribute to the building and structure
of a high-functioning team of senior leaders.
- Develop succession planning scenarios and cultivate and
implement talent development practices to support and encourage
transitions to key leadership posts and functions as the team
- Oversee systems, processes, and technology strategy to improve
efficiency, automation and effectiveness of team service delivery
Relationship Management and Business Development
- Partner with executive and senior leadership to run and
supervise Managed Nonprofit Organizations’ relationships; serve as
primary relationship manager for select clients.
- Partner with business development team in setting, tracking
progress towards and meeting overall MO revenue and profitability
targets each quarter and annually.
- Serve as a public representative of Arabella as needed with
clients, prospects, and partners.
- Ensure the business development team is sufficiently supported
by MO team members to reach revenue targets and launch strategic,
- Maintain perspective on the market environment including
donors, competitors and the sector at-large, incorporating that
knowledge as appropriate to ensure a continued strong and
differentiated positioning of the business.
- Partner with business development and other teams to identify
and implement innovation and growth opportunities.
- Contribute to business development for Arabella’s most
important clients and review the positioning and scope of all
- Overseeing and communicating perspective around the ideal
client portfolio and ensuring that the business development team is
equipped to pursue that portfolio.
Arabella currently uses the following technology platforms:
Salesforce, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Dynamics GP,
Skills and Expertise
Successful candidates for this position will share a commitment
to Arabella Advisors’ mission and values and will bring a variety
of experiences and attributes to Arabella, including:
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience, with
a professional background at the intersection of the social sector
and professional services preferred.
- Demonstrated record of strategic accomplishment in managing
complex lines of shared services, building teams, and a track
record of success in scaling operations in a heavily matrixed
working environment or similar setting.
- Experience owning revenue responsibilities related to client
services and success resulting in business expansion and growth
management in a sophisticated professional service setting.
- Capacity to work well with competing priorities and deadlines
and contribute high-level strategic thinking with a process
improvement mindset and a focus on detail.
- Facility with technology and implementing technology to scale
in a transactionally dense business environment.
- Expertise in data to inform and drive strategic analysis,
process improvements, and change management.
- Strong and relevant networks of potential partners and clients
- Excellent communication skills and the demonstrated ability to
structure and organize large amounts of information, data, and
findings into clear and concise summaries expressed through a
variety of communication vehicles including reports, narrative,
presentations, and organizational charts.
- Experience in senior management and supervisory positions that
have included supporting talent development practices and
identifying training and growth opportunities that contribute to
these practices for direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to support and enhance the desired
organizational culture and workforce environment.
- BA required. Graduate degree in relevant field (e.g., business
administration, organizational development, public administration)
or equivalent experience preferred.
Qualities and Attributes
- Commitment to the mission and values of Arabella Advisors.
- Exceptional leadership ability, team management, and strong
interpersonal skills both inside the organization and with external
- A strategic and proactive mindset, with the ability to
effectively lead decision-making and engage and motivate a team to
meet deadlines and organizational goals.
- Exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal
communication skills as well as speaking abilities; ability to
establish trust and build relationships with people at all levels
of the organization as well as outside stakeholders and
- A natural leadership presence and professional approach that
also registers as thoughtful, adaptable, and empathetic.
- The ability to relate well to persons and groups of diverse
backgrounds and a sensitivity to issues related to diversity,
equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Arabella Advisors is operating with a hybrid schedule that is
moderately flexible with an expectation of 3 days in the office per
week for the first three months, and then the choice of either an
office-based (3+ days/week in office) or hybrid-based option (2
days/week in office). This position is open to candidates who wish
to be based from our office locations in Washington, DC, Durham, NC
or Chicago, IL; it is also open to candidates based on the East
This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive
and commensurate with experience, with consideration applied to the
geographic location of the candidate. Arabella offers a generous
and competitive total rewards package that includes salary, bonus,
and benefits including a 20% incentive potential.
To apply, upload resume, cover letter, and salary requirements
clicking here. For other inquiries, contact
Suzanne Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org. No other application
materials will be reviewed at this time. Resume reviews begin
Arabella’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within our firm and
in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be
effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities
impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse
staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their
uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced
understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, disability status, and other disparities that
undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with
one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our
clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of
success, no matter their starting place.
Arabella’s commitment to equity is long term, and the reasons
that motivate us to engage in this work vary. For some of us, this
work is personal: we have experienced marginalization and exclusion
and feel a responsibility to repair the systems that have failed
our communities. For some of us, this work is still new, and we are
still learning about the systems that shape our society and sector
and create inequitable outcomes. But regardless of our lived
experiences and backgrounds, all of us recognize our privilege as
close partners to funders and want to use this privilege in a way
that advances equitable outcomes for communities.
About Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector
On behalf of Arabella Advisors, Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social
Sector Group is working with Arabella’s internal committee to
advance the search. Founded in 1984 and merged with Marcum in 2018,
we are, and always have been, a mission-driven professional
services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially
conscious companies. We exist to do meaningful work for
organizations like Arabella Advisors who are making a difference in
our communities and our world. Learn more about our work at