Are you a talented, experienced major-gifts fundraiser on a
mission to save the world? Do you thrive in a fast-paced
environment with similarly driven colleagues? Do you believe
journalism plays a vital role in protecting democracy? If so, you
might be the next Development Director at CalMatters.
In seven years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom
covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit,
nonpartisan organization, giving our coverage at no cost to more
than 250 media outlets. Over one million people visit our website
each month, and 150,000 subscribers receive our newsletter every
We are looking for an ambitious person with great communication
skills to lead our major donor revenue strategy. This is a stellar
opportunity to play a critical role in a vibrant and growing
organization. As a senior leader, you’ll work closely with the
chief development officer, CEO, editor, and board of directors to
maintain existing and develop new relationships with donors giving
$5,000 or more per year.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and execute strategies for stewardship and renewal of
current donors and prospecting of new donors capable of making
annual gifts of $5,000 or more.
- Write compelling materials for donors including email updates,
invitations to events, impact reports, and other marketing
- Maintain knowledge about CalMatters beat reporting and special
projects, using that information to identify and develop funding
opportunities and strategies.
- Oversee a compelling development-event strategy, including
luncheons, salons, private dinners, and donor briefings. This
includes special events and benefits for Publisher’s Circle
($10,000-plus) level donors.
- Develop a planned giving program and support its
- Ensure the CRM is maintained with accurate donor information
and assist with annual forecasting.
- Meet annual revenue goals.
- Five years+ experience in leadership-level, revenue-generating
roles in nonprofit organizations.
- A track record in cultivating, soliciting, closing and
stewarding individual major gifts.
- Experience developing, planning, and leading comprehensive
- Experience tracking and reporting on progress toward
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with an
ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build
genuine, long-term relationships.
- Ability to build a supportive, engaged, and loyal donor
community and manage an effective donor-relations program.
- Highly organized and self-directed with a strong desire to make
a lasting impact.
- Proficiency with CRM tools like Salesforce.
- Experience with, and/or passion for, journalism.
- Candidates should be located in, or willing to relocate to, the
Sacramento metropolitan area or the San Francisco Bay Area and be
prepared for limited travel in California as needed.
Performance will be evaluated on your ability to meet
agreed-upon revenue goals, retention of existing donors,
acquisition of new donors, execution of successful donor events,
and development of donor communication tools.
Compensation and Benefits:
The base salary for this position is $110,000 per year; higher
compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills
CalMatters offers a complete benefits package with medical,
dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of the cost for employees
and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers.
We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k)
program, provide life insurance at no cost, and give you an
allowance for personal use of your cell phone and a budget for
professional development opportunities like classes and
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully
forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit
journalism. We’re committed to reflecting the people of the state
we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented
communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume
and cover letter.