- Empire Health Foundation
- Washington, United States
- $92,951.00 - $109,354.00
- Closing date
- Aug 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Programs, Other Programs
- Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About Empire Health Foundation
Empire Health Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation, was founded in 2008 through the sale of Deaconess Hospital and Valley Medical Center. We believe health is a fundamental human right and boldly advance health equity in eastern Washington. Through a collaborative approach to philanthropy, we center community voice, knowledge, and experience in our actions. We prioritize deep relationships with our communities, confronting systems of poverty and racism, while pursuing innovative solutions to improve health and quality of life.
Our core values of community, integrity, trust, compassion, and unconditional love guide our work. We address equity by investing in sustainable systems change that results in healthier, more vibrant communities for all.
Empire Health Foundation now invites applications for a Policy Director to join its team.
The Policy Director will be an active participant within an Empire Health Foundation team who is committed to a holistic understanding that true health comes from within communities, from thriving families, strong social networks, and from a deeper kind of healing. This healing must address historical injustices and persistent inequities that lead to substantial and sustainable change that draws from cultural strength of the communities we serve.
The Policy Director provides leadership for the public policy and advocacy work of the Empire Health Foundation and its partner Empire Health Community Advocacy Fund (EHCAF). The Policy Director reports to the President and works with the EHCAF Board, political leaders throughout our region, advocates, and community experts and researchers. This individual serves on the EHF leadership team and plays a leadership role in the organization and its networks.
The Policy Director will build a foundation for successful policy and advocacy work through Empire Health Foundation and EHCAF. The Director will assess, lay groundwork and create opportunity for successful local measures in communities represented in EHF’s Equity Healing Framework strategy. The Director will drive the creation and refinement of a strategic policy agenda for key issue areas and will oversee the execution of high-impact policy and advocacy campaigns at the local level. The Policy Director will work with EHF leadership to ensure an appropriate level of consistency and integration between the various program areas with respect to research efforts, community partnerships, and policy campaigns.
Essential Job Functions
Public Policy Planning and Development
- Lead EHCAF’s direction and focus in the area of public policy.
- Implement EHF and EHCAF’s public policy agenda, develop strategies and negotiate solutions for policy issues that are important to the work in EHF’s region.
- Coordinate local-level advocacy campaigns, ensuring collaborative, cohesive and synergistic advocacy agendas.
- Research, monitor, analyze and respond to federal, state and local issues that affect EHCAF’s efforts in Eastern Washington.
- Draft testimony and position papers on public policy issues.
- Represent EHCAF in varied communities to build a strong network of informed, action-oriented allies in regional government, partner organizations, funders and consultants.
- Build and maintain relationships with partner organizations, coalitions, foundations and associations throughout the state to advance policy goals.
- Build and maintain relationships with elected officials, their representatives and staff, and other local constituents.
Communications and Messaging
- Serve as the primary advisor on all policy issues, policy development and implementation of strategy of engagement with a wide variety of public policy stakeholders.
- Track progress of legislative agendas and policy campaigns and coordinate with Communications staff to promote the organization’s policy development and messaging with key stakeholders.
- Develop detailed policy proposals and arguments for implementing desirable initiatives.
- Manage and produce EHCAF messaging and communication through various channels including web content, electronic policy updates, legislative alerts, position statements and research reports for key stakeholders.
General Management and Coordination
- Oversee a process of internal communication, coordination, documentation and evaluation for all of EHCAF’s policy areas.
- Serve on EHF’s Leadership Team.
- Ensure consistent internal policies and practices while allowing for flexibility when necessary.
- Contribute to organizational and team goal achievement.
- At least 10 years of experience in government, civil rights, racial and/or social justice, or other fields, ideally with at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- Deep understanding and experience with public systems and policy.
- Proven track record of success leading policy advocacy campaigns.
Skills & Abilities
- Deep commitment to equity and social justice, and strong alignment with the Foundation’s organizational mission and values.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships and work effectively and respectfully with politically, ideologically, culturally, and geographically diverse people and communities.
- Demonstrated success working in partnership with community organizations, including experience building and working in coalitions.
- Possess understanding of the foundational role that racism, ableism, sexism and other forms of bias and oppression play in perpetuating inequity.
- Strong verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills combined with the ability to listen deeply and authentically.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with demonstrated success managing multiple projects and priorities in a team-based environment.
- Humility and curiosity, and an understanding of how these qualities are connected to success in this role.
- Demonstrated capacity for self-reflection.
- Ability to participate in meetings and events outside of core business hours.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert