Director of Development, College of Engineering
- Florida State University Foundation
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Closing date
- Aug 16, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Direct Marketing, Fundraising Administration, Major Gifts, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events
- Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job ID: 50812
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
The Director of Development, College of Engineering will strategically design and execute a personal solicitation program resulting in philanthropic support by maximizing the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects for gifts at the $50,000 and up level. This individual will secure, on an annual basis, private support at the major gift range and will also be responsible for identification of potential major gift prospects. This individual will be expected to uphold and exemplify the operating practices and mission of the Foundation.
Strategic Fundraising Development
Works with the Dean, the Associate Vice President for Constituent Programs, and other members of the College’s development, communication and alumni team to develop and execute strategic fundraising initiatives on behalf of the College, the University and the Foundation. Develops and coordinates the annual major gift plan for the College of Engineering, with the Dean of Engineering and Associate Vice President, Constituent Programs. Establishes new relationships resulting in philanthropic revenue, maintains existing relationships which may generate new philanthropic revenue, and provides prospect/donor-related assessments of the performance of the College of Engineering and the FSU Foundation. Identifies, qualifies and sustains a donor prospect portfolio with individuals who have a giving capacity of $50,000 or more. Secures gifts and pledges from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and friends of FSU.
Assists in the facilitation of meetings, communications, informational exchanges and project/philanthropic coordination with the faculty and faculty chairs. Plans for and initiates direct activities with prospects that are designed to enhance the affiliation between the prospect and the University. Prepares proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation. Prepares correspondence with prospects and documents communications, solicitation activity and gift information in compliance with Foundation reporting guidelines. Creates, inspires and maintains donor loyalty, interest and enthusiasm through stewardship communication and activities designed to express recognition, appreciation and the impact of their gift(s). Implementation of such a stewardship plan may include but should not be limited to letters, communication of unit or university initiatives, invitations to appropriate activities, meetings, events, student engagement or the facilitation of campus visits. Protects confidential information. Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Volunteer Council/Board Management
Assists in the management of all volunteer boards associated with the College. Effectively communicates organization’s mission and represents the organization’s culture to external stakeholders.
Central Development Collaboration
Coordinates with FSU Foundation colleagues to identify prospects for planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, and major giving. Coordinates an annual giving plan for the College with the FSU Foundation’s Director of Annual Giving. Exhibits and promotes a comprehensive understanding of the philanthropic priorities of the college unit, effectively matching the specific interests of prospects to those specific needs.
Bachelor's degree and six years of experience related to the duties of the position; or a high school diploma/equivalent and experience in the same equal to ten years. (Note: post-high school education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.)
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office products suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), or equivalent software.
- A self-starter, comfortable working independently.
- Ability to maintain consistent and positive communication with the Foundation and internal campus partners.
- Excellent communication skills to include effective and persuasive writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to facilitate strong communications with colleagues, donors, prospective donors and alumni, including letters, surveys and telephone solicitation programs.
- Must be a creative thinker and recognize the impact of meaningful stewardship.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously and accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- A valid Florida or Georgia Driver's License, or the ability to obtain.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage competing deadlines.
- Ability to handle confidential, sensitive information with the highest degree of professionalism.
Applicants must upload a cover letter & resume with their online application.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Professional demeanor with a teamwork approach and a can-do, assertive philosophy.
- Professional experience in major gift development in a university setting; Experience in a related field with basic knowledge of personal solicitation methods may also be considered.
- Experience with Black Baud’s CRM Platform or other fundraising information management systems/databases preferred.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news! Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit
our website to learn more
about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and
Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as
advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a
current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Applicants must upload a cover letter & resume with their online application.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
The hiring committee will review applications as received.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert