Job Title: Operations Associate
Job Level: Associate
Reports to: Director of Operations,
Administration and Finance
Salary Range: $70,000 to $90,000
Job Location: TransitCenter is currently
working remotely. When we return to the office, attendance at our
Wall Street office in New York City is expected up to four days per
week, with one day per week of remote work possible.
About the organization:
TransitCenter is a private foundation that conducts research and
advocacy and works nationally to improve public transit in ways
that make U.S. cities more just and environmentally sustainable. To
do this, we are committed to reforming how and by whom decisions
about transit are made, bringing new perspectives, especially those
of transit riders, into planning and policy work. We believe that
supporting community-based activists and harnessing our own voice
are critical to advancing the type of transit advocacy urgently
needed in American cities. More about TransitCenter’s work and
staff can be found on our website: transitcenter.org.
In order to live our organization's values (listed below),
specifically to have an equitable and inclusive workplace and
because we believe in the power of complementary strength, people
of color, people with low incomes, women, LGBTQ people, and people
with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Position Description: The Operations
Associate is responsible for the organization's accounts payable
functions and serves as the office manager, ensuring the smooth
functioning of our physical and virtual office needs. In addition,
the person in this position will coordinate logistics and
scheduling for TransitCenter's Board of Trustee meetings, calendar
management and scheduling for the Executive Director.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Finance and Accounting Duties and
- Process invoices, grant payments and reimbursements.
- Manage contracts and track invoices against the contracts.
- Create new vendor record and maintain existing vendor
- Reconcile corporate credit card expenses (this function may
require several follow up with staff to obtain their expense
- Download and save monthly bank statements.
- Keep all physical files up-to-date and organized.
Office Space and Other Duties
- Maintain inventory; order office supplies and snacks.
- Liaise with building staff (cleaning vendor, pest control
company, and building manager).
- Coordinate insurance documents for office vendors.
- Troubleshoot issues with the printer when they arise; collect
used toner cartridges and ship them to be recycled.
- Sign visitors in through the building's online system.
- Monitor health screening app, staff in office calendar, and
update the office tracker spreadsheet.
- Schedule meetings.
- Oversee moderator and note-taker rotation for all-staff
- Keep all administrative documents organized in DropBox.
- Assist with onboarding and off-boarding tasks as needed.
- Ship reports or other materials when needed; manage office
FedEx, UPS, and USPS accounts.
- Arrange for messenger services when needed; manage office
- Manage office phone account.
- Manage TransitCenter's contact relationship management (CRM)
- Manage Zoom and Slack.
Board of Trustees and sub-committees
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics for Board of Trustees
meetings and their sub-committees.
- Take meeting minutes and prepare meeting materials (travel may
be required to perform this task).
- Maintain Dropbox folder(s) and other documentary resources
required by the board.
- Set up conference room meeting technology and provide support
for virtual meetings.
- Create board presentation template; work with various staff to
coordinate advance meeting packet and the presentation.
- Make travel arrangements and assist with reimbursements for
Desired experience, skills, and knowledge:
While we are seeking candidates who have many of these
skills, we understand that candidates may not have all of the
skills listed below.
- An Associate's Degree or Bachelor's degree is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in non-profit
administration, operations and accounts payable.
- Skill with MS Office: PowerPoint, Word, Excel skills;
experience working with and analyzing data in spreadsheets.
- Extremely organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Ease with troubleshooting basic information technology
- Experience using cloud-based systems and tools such as
Bill.com, Dropbox, Zoom, etc.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently and manage
multiple projects while being a committed team player.
- Ability to problem-solve, plan, and prioritize tasks.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity
The full benefits package will be described as part of the
interview process but some of our benefits include:
- 401(k) with 5% matching contribution
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 11 company holidays, 22 days of vacation, 10 sick days per
year, and 12 weeks of paid parental leave for new parents
- Commuter benefits
How to Apply:
Interested applicants can apply by clicking the following link,
answering the questions and submitting the requested
documents. Application link: Click here.
- If you would like to request accommodation during the interview
process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required for
Proof of US work authorization and the successful completion of
a background check are required for employment.
- TransitCenter is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion,
gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran
status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected
by federal, state or local law.
- Employment is on an “at-will” basis, meaning both the employer
and the employee can terminate the relationship at any
- TransitCenter, a private philanthropic foundation, is
incorporated in the State of New York, with its sole office located
in the City of New York, and is bound by the employment statutes
and regulations of those jurisdictions.