Founded in 1911, the American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA)
is the oldest national psychoanalytic organization in the nation.
APsaA is a professional organization for psychoanalysts, focusing
on education, research and membership development. In addition to
the national organization, APsaA’s membership includes 34 approved
training institutes and 38 affiliate societies throughout the
APsaA has developed vibrant and innovative programming for the
mental health profession and the general public. The Association
and its more than 3,500 highly trained members gather at biannual
meetings to exchange ideas, present research papers, and discuss
training and membership issues. Many public activities relating to
psychoanalysis are presented by the APsaA’s affiliated societies
and by institutes which have the highest level of training for
The American Psychoanalytic Association is an equal opportunity
The overall responsibility for the Director of Communications is
to develop and implement communications programs that effectively
describe and promote psychoanalysis, APsaA, and its members.
The Director of Communications is responsible for three major
functional areas/projects: 1) general marketing and communications
for the Association; including social media marketing 2) all media
relations for the Association; and 3) strategizing, developing, and
implementing both external and internal public relations programs
and communications (including graphics communications) that enhance
the visibility and promote the value of psychoanalysis.
Significant to this role, the Director will be responsible for
the content of the Association’s website. In this role, the
Director will lead the Association’s APsaA OnLine
initiative, which includes a complete overhaul of the
organization’s current website.
The Director also serves as the staff liaison to the
association’s Committee on Public Information as well as to the
Advocacy Department and its Committee on Government Relations and
assists with their annual budgets. This position also consults with
the Social Issues department. Some travel and public speaking are
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about the field of
- Expertise with website content management systems.
- Knowledge of social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter,
LinkedIn, Instagram, etc, podcasts, blog writing/editing.
- Experience with professional associations and skilled at
working with individual members, volunteer leaders, and local
- Accomplished at media placements and relationships with the
- Creativity and ability to think of new, effective avenues for
marketing, publicity, and promotion
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong proof-reading skills and excellent eye for detail.
- Able to develop effective working relationships, strong
- Must work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent computer skills: knowledge of MS Word, Excel,
Outlook, some design platforms and skills.
To apply for the job please send a cover letter and resume in
confidence to email@example.com.