The Associate Director of Foundation Relations will be
responsible for developing and implementing strategies to further
build upon a grants program that has experienced rapid growth in
revenue over the past three years. The successful candidate must
have exceptional communication skills, substantial experience
working with foundations and cultivating and soliciting six- and
seven-figure grants. This position will report directly to the
Director of Foundation Relations to support the institutional
priorities of the HRC Foundation.
● Implement fundraising strategies to secure new and renewed
funding - advancing and deepening existing foundation partnerships
and significantly growing a portfolio of foundation donors;
● Cultivate and maintain relationships with foundation leaders
and program officers, building meaningful collaborations in
furtherance of HRC Foundation’s mission and goals;
● Lead the grant application process, including drafting and
finalizing grant proposals, letters of Inquiry, and responding to
requests for proposals; tracking relevant deadlines; and meeting
with staff and members of the HRC Foundation and finance team to
gather necessary information to prepare these documents;
● Prepare compelling presentations and other communication
materials for prospects and existing funders, articulating the
history, structure, objectives, programs and theory of change of
the HRC Foundation;
● Collaborate with program staff and the senior leadership team
to build partnerships, maintaining accurate and up-to-date
knowledge of current organizational goals, activities, and funding
● Coordinate and collaborate across several departments of the
organization including Finance/Accounting, Foundation, Public
Policy & Political Affairs, General Counsel, Communications and
● Manage special projects as needed.
● Other duties as assigned.
● 5-7+ years of previous experience in foundation management
● Excellent communication and presentation skills and the
ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a rapid pace
● Proven ability to successfully motivate lateral and more
senior colleagues to provide necessary support for grant and
● Direct knowledge of and experience working with private,
public and/or corporate foundations and significant proficiency in
managing grant budgets
● Problem-solver able to creatively and effectively overcome
● Proven organizational and project management skills
● Highly effective oral and written communicator with the
ability to adapt to a wide range of communication styles, critical
to complete all work with a high level of accuracy.
● Exceptionally motivated, organized and detail-oriented; team
player with a willingness to help where required.
● Ability to manage working with supervision as well as
● Professionalism and a demonstrated ability to handle
confidential information is a must.
● Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ+ equality.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on
a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business
travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor
Standards Act will apply.
The HRC Staff Tier Structure is available on the HRC Staff