POSITION TITLE: Grants Associate
JOB LOCATION: New York, NY / Most of the work may be carried out
remotely, but occasional in-person meetings at Hunger Free
America’s Manhattan headquarters and at on-site events in New York
City will be required.
DESCRIPTION: Hunger Free America (HFA) is a dynamic, growing
national direct service and advocacy nonprofit organization. Hunger
Free America is seeking a dynamic and highly effective grants
writer and manager with a minimum of 2-4 years of
development/fundraising experience and a proven track record of
successfully raising funds to join the Development Team. The person
in this role will identify potential government, foundation, and
corporate funders, write proposals, grants and reports, and with
the support of the Development Manager, strategize the best
engagement opportunities for each funder. The position will also
handle all administrative and reporting aspects of grants
management, in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer, who
will lead the preparation of of financial reports. Direct
experience in grant writing, grant management, donor solicitation,
and donor relations is required. This is a full-time, exempt
position that reports to the Development Manager and CEO, but will
have some flexibility on the number of hours to be worked each
Working closely with the Development Manager and CEO, the Grants
- Conduct prospect research and analyze opportunities to identify
new private and public grant funding sources, including government
agencies, foundations (including family foundations), and private
- Research, write, pitch, and submit high-quality grant
proposals. Support the development and submission of financial and
programmatic progress reports to funders. Work with Hunger
Free America directors and managers to obtain substantive details
for the applications.
- Support the design and implementation of development and
fundraising activities of the organization to increase donations
from both unrestricted and restricted sources.
- Maintain digital grant records, grants calendar, monitor grant
and contract reporting and compliance, and manage grants data and
gift processing and acknowledgment in Salesforce.
- Lead Hunger Free America’s grant reporting to donors.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to increase our social
marketing partnerships with companies and brands, and online
promotional materials for the organization that relate to
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidate will have as many as possible of the
- At least 2 years of full-time, successful grant writing and
fundraising experience, comfort and skill in asking individuals,
organizations, and institutions for money.
- Significant work experience or and/or a bachelor’s or
associate’s degree in a relevant field (Political Science, Social
Work, Public Health, International Relations, Psychology,
Sociology, Education, etc.) is required. A related graduate or
professional degree is a plus.
- An excellent writer, with strong written and verbal
communications skills for a variety of audiences, and research and
- Knowledge of philanthropic landscape, grant writing and
prospect research, and the principles and ethics of fundraising and
- Experience with CRM/donor management software. Familiarity with
Salesforce and/or crowdfunding software is a plus.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills, proven ability to
manage multiple projects, and an ability to meet tight deadlines
- Experience handling confidential materials and information with
- Proven ability to collaborate professionally and effectively
with diverse stakeholders.
- Must be able to work independently, use a high degree of
judgment and make sound independent decisions.
- Collaborative team player with an outgoing, engaging
- A demonstrated commitment to, and passion about, Hunger Free
America’s mission to end hunger nationwide. Specific
knowledge of hunger and poverty issues are a plus.
Essential Physical Demands:
The person in this position:
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including a booster
shot at the recommended time.
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary
- Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file
cabinets, office machinery, other offices, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity
machinery such as a calculator, copy machine and computer
- Occasionally travels around New York City and possibly outside
of NYC to attend meetings, conferences, and other
- Frequently communicates with staff, donors, volunteers, and
clients and must be able to exchange accurate information in these
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- This is a full-time, exempt, 28-35-hour per week position, with
some in-person work required in our HQ in New York City. The exact
hours per week subject to negotiation. If the role is less than 35
hours per week (but at least 28), the salary will be prorated
- Starting annual salary range is $50,000 to $55,000 based on
- Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to full-time
employees, including a strong health insurance plan which includes
fully paid employee premiums and a health reimbursement
- Employees receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit a resume and cover letter to the link provided.
Applications not containing both a resume and a cover letter will
not be reviewed.
- The position is open until filled with the right person.
- Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of
diverse races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and
social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national
origins are very strongly encouraged to apply.