VertueLab's mission is to unleash innovation and
entrepreneurship to solve environmental challenges and catalyze
shared economic prosperity. Through a decade of work, we have
proven that our model can accelerate the climate solutions that are
key to reversing the climate crisis.
Why we need you
VertueLab is a nonprofit fighting the climate crisis by
providing funding and holistic entrepreneurial support to cleantech
startups. We are embarking on a period of ambitious growth informed
by our 2022-2025 Strategic Plan. We are building our Fund
Development Partnerships Team to scale our work across the Pacific
Northwest Region to meet the demand for our services and the
urgency of the climate crisis. We are seeking talented,
entrepreneurial and mission driven individuals to grow our
relationships and revenue in partnership with mission aligned
partners and funders.
The Climate Partnerships Manager: Foundations &
Corporate will have lead responsibility for the organization's
portfolio of institutional funding partnerships to include
foundations (45% of this position's effort), government entities
(37%) and corporate foundations (18%). This position is an exciting
opportunity that blends traditional philanthropic foundation
fundraising with impact investing and impact-first corporate
partnerships. In partnership with the Director of Strategic
Partnerships and leadership team, this role will deeply engage with
VertueLab’s Foundation, Corporate and Government donors, and
prospects and help build, lead and execute annual and multi-year
efforts to scale funding partnerships, revenue and impact. The
ideal candidate has experience managing a grants and/or
institutional giving program, is a proven project manager,
excellent written and verbal communicator, has a high attention to
detail, skilled in time management and can work productively with a
team and individually.
The goal of the fund development partnerships team is to advance
VertueLab’s impact funds, program initiatives and operations. To
achieve that objective, this role qualifies prospects, researches
areas of alignment, prepares concept papers and proposals, and
ultimately secures funding partnerships from local, regional, and
national funding sources—including foundations, government, and
corporations. This role executes the strategy and manages the
systems and operations to support a robust annual work plan of
prospecting, proposal development, submission, acknowledgement,
stewardship and reporting.
Pay and Benefits
$75,000-$80,000 salary accompanied by a competitive benefits
- 20 days of paid vacation per year
- 10 days of sick leave per year
- 4 days of volunteer leave per year
- 11 paid holidays
- Medical and dental insurance
- 401k with a 100% match up for the first 3% of employee’s
compensation contribution and an additional 50% match for the 2% of
an employee’s compensation contribution
- Mostly remote work and some flexibility in work schedule
Our Work Environment
VertueLab staff work in a hybrid work environment, with most
work being conducted remotely. Some business-related travel and
in-person meetings may be required with the understanding that
flexibility to any changes in public health guidance may need to be
considered. VertueLab offers each employee a $250
reimbursement per year for equipment or furnishings for their home
Regional and national travel to events and to meet with
prospective funders is required on occasion.
- Plans, schedules, and implements fundraising activities to
advance Foundation, Government and Corporate partnerships. Develops
detailed and compelling funding proposals tailored to the interest
of potential funders in the areas consistent with VertueLab’s
fundraising priorities and programmatic needs.
- Primary responsibility for the timely production and submission
of high-quality grant/partnership proposals and reports.
- Research and qualify prospective institutional funders to
determine whether their funding priorities and processes qualify
them as priority prospective funders based on alignment with
VertueLab mission, values, programs, and goals.
- Support senior management team and other VertueLab
program/development colleagues in strategically establishing and
maintaining relationships with institutional funders.
- Manage grant proposal teams (including staff and any external
partners) in executing the full range of activities required to
prepare, write, and submit grant proposals, as well as complete
progress and final reports that are responsive to funder
- Work in collaboration with community partners, those with whom
VertueLab fiscally sponsors, and subgrantees on collaborative
project proposal development.
- In partnership with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and
with input from staff, board, and partners, establish a set of
policies, tools, and procedures that support equitable fundraising
- Lead responsibility for the creation and maintenance of
organizational grants calendar, ensuring that deadlines are met for
submission of proposals and reports.
- Keep program staff aware of upcoming deadlines and work in
collaboration with them to write/edit grants and funder
- With support from the Marketing and Development Coordinator,
ensure high data integrity in Salesforce for all institutional
funders and related contacts and records.
Strategy and Forecasting
- In partnership with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, set
annual fundraising budget and revenue goals and report on progress
to staff and board.
- Work alongside the Climate Partnerships Manager:
Individuals on the development and execution of an annual
institutional stewardship and engagement plan.
- With support from the Finance and Operations Manager track
progress of institutional revenue quarterly and annually; leverage
historical data to forecast and project institutional revenue
annually and over time.
- Stay abreast of current trends in climate technology funding
and incorporate compelling ideas into grant and partnership
- Monitor trends, policies, and legislation that impact or create
- Maintain a deep understanding of the organization's history,
programs, current initiatives, financial goals, and strategic
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal Candidate Profile
With a combination of professional and/or lived experiences, the
successful candidate for the Foundations and Corporate Partnership
role will have:
- Alignment with VertueLab’s mission to unleash innovation and
entrepreneurship that will solve environmental challenges and
catalyze shared economic prosperity.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as
evidenced in past professional and/or personal experiences
- 3-5 years fundraising experience; proven track record of
securing grant awards and/or corporate partnerships of
- Demonstrated success advancing relationships (both internal and
external) and growing revenue, ideally from foundations, government
entities, and corporate partners.
- Outstanding communication skills; ability to inspire funders
and partners through verbal and written communication; skilled at
communicating complex ideas tailoring information to different
- Data management and CRM software experience (Salesforce
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple
projects at once
- Tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty
- Adaptability required to thrive in a small team and in a
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Ability to initiate and work independently on projects.
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving
- Ability to commit to a full-time schedule that is conducive to
working with a team that works regular business hours in the
Pacific time zone. Pacific Northwest residence is required.
- Knowledge of cleantech/climate tech, energy, and/or
- Experience working with foundation, federal, state, and
- Knowledge of Corporate SDG goals and their application to
corporate funding decision making
- Knowledge of PRI (Program Related Investing) and MRI (Market
We welcome diverse backgrounds and experience, so even if you
believe you don't check every box, we still want to hear from
We encourage applicants from all racial, ethnic, religious, and
socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities,
and functional limitations to apply, especially those from
historically marginalized communities.
VertueLab is committed to building a culturally diverse
organization and strongly encourages applications from people of
color and members of other underrepresented groups. VertueLab is an
equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered
for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are mission-critical to
- The root causes of climate change and racism were cultivated in
extractive economies and inequitable practices.
- Communities of Color are often the first and worst impacted by
- People closest to the problem often have innovative solutions,
but don’t have the capital or connections to fund and launch their
The mission of VertueLab sits at the intersection of these
opportunities to move from DEI awareness to effective DEI action in
ways that benefit people representing all dimensions of diversity.
Learn more about our DEI journey at our website.
BOLD, WISE LEADERSHIP
We take informed action, inspiring others, using our expertise
as a trusted navigator with respect and humility, and driving to
We take a systems view of the world to leverage our network for
powerful collaborations beyond what we can achieve alone. We
recognize the urgency of the climate crisis and that relationships
require time to build.
DEI IS MISSION-CRITICAL
We recognize the root causes of climate change and racism were
cultivated in extractive economies and inequitable practices.
Climate change impacts and opportunities to be part of the solution
are not evenly distributed. Our mission puts us in a position to
LAB = EXPERIMENTATION
We are always learning. We embrace uncertainty as a given. We
are strategic and flexible. We have the knowledge to recognize
opportunities, the tools to help ensure they are seized, and the
patience and adaptability to see them through to the end.
We care about the work, each other, and our community. We laugh
together and have each other’s back. We work hard, and value one
application to the Climate Partnerships Manager – Foundations
& Corporate position includes a few basic, voluntary
demographic questions included as part of our commitment to
ensuring that we have a diverse pool of applicants for this
position, plus two fields for uploading supporting materials
including a cover letter and resume.
We ask that in your cover letter you address the following:
- How your experience and skills make you a great candidate for
this position and would set you up for success in this role.
- What most excites you about this opportunity, in terms of the
job scope, our organization’s mission, or anything else.
- What you’d contribute to our team’s culture and diversity of
lived experiences and perspectives.
In your resume, please identify two references. We will notify
you prior to our contacting any reference.
Application Form: Climate Partnerships
Manager -Foundations/Corporate Application (airtable.com)
Questions? Please feel free to contact VertueLab’s HR Manager,
Marisa Messina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin reviewing applications on August 1st, and continue