DEPARTMENT: Office of University
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice President,
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Director of Alumni &
Donor Engagement reports to the Assistant Vice President,
University Advancement. This position is responsible for
implementing an institution-wide comprehensive alumni, donor
relations, and stewardship program that appropriately and
consistently promotes interaction with and recognition of alumni
and donors at all levels. The position requires excellent
collaborative skills to be applied with all advancement including
front-line fundraisers and partners across the University. This
position requires the ability to oversee donor stewardship
activities and events, and draft written materials to aid in the
institution's efforts to educate, cultivate, and recognize donors.
This position, an integral part of the University's advancement
efforts, offers the opportunity to apply creative and critical
thinking skills in a wide range of alumni and donor communications
and stewardship projects that connect the University with its
alumni and current and prospective benefactors. This position will
oversee the Alumni & Donor Engagement Officer.
degree required, master’s preferred. A minimum of four (4) years of
professional experience is required; higher education experience is
preferred. Candidates with fundraising, event management, and
writing experience will be given strong preference.
Education/experience equivalents considered.
- Familiarity with the Association of Donor Relations
Professionals (ADRP), the Association of Advancement Services
Professionals (AASP), the CASE Donor Bill of Rights, and the CASE
- Well-developed customer-service orientation
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines at one time
- Understanding of philanthropy as it relates to higher
- Ability to use discretion in working with confidential and
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills with
demonstrated attention to detail and ability to relate to
individuals at varying levels internally and externally
- History of success developing and managing relationships with
alumni, major donors, prospects, or clients
- Computer software skills, including Microsoft Office and
knowledge of integrated client database systems is preferred
- Professional in appearance, demeanor, and decision-making
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary
- Strong organizational skills
- Accuracy in work and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; verbally and in
- Uses high level of judgment and able to maintain
- Ability to work as part of team
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow and promote the ethical guidelines set forth by the
Association of Donor Relations Professionals (ADRP), the
Association of Advancement Services Professionals (AASP), the CASE
Donor Bill of Rights, and the CASE Ethics Guidelines. Stay abreast
of privacy issues as they relate to Donor Relations.
- Develop a comprehensive alumni and donor engagement program
through 1:1 efforts, regional and national events, volunteer
opportunities, endowment celebrations, dedications, and consistent
communication and social media engagement
- Ensure all donors are appropriately thanked in a timely and
- Manage information tracking processes regarding acknowledgment,
recognition, ongoing communications, and continued stewardship of
past and current major donors to enhance their relationship with
the University and increase the likelihood of continued
contributions. Develop and assess policies and procedures across
the division and university that are essential for a comprehensive
donor relations program.
- Responsible for consistent, accurate, and appropriate
information-sharing mechanisms for engaging alumni and donors as
well as stewarding existing donors.
- Proactively support the stewardship responsibilities of the
development staff by assisting them in establishing and
coordinating individualized stewardship plans for donors.
- Work collaboratively with University Advancement staff to
compose letters, compile appropriate invitation lists, engage
featured program participants, create programs, and program
materials, prepare program scripts and participant remarks, and
create and/or obtain donor awards and recognitions.
- Recommend and facilitate on- and off-campus publicity of major
gifts and donors with University Public Relations.
- Advise on and facilitate the recognition of donors in both
print and web-based publications.
- Contribute donor and gift information for annual reports,
oversee production of donor rolls, determine report recipients, and
- Engage in marketing and communications efforts related to donor
relations/stewardship program; may include writing for print and
- Participate in the strategic and long-range planning for new
initiatives and programs designed to enhance alumni engagement and
- Supervise, train, and direct the work of assigned staff
- Manage event budgets and logistics
- Maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to the highest
ethical standards in managing information.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and
resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu
(preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please
reference - DIRECTOR OF ALUMNI & DONOR
ENGAGEMENT - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word
document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format
All emails submitted will receive an automatic
confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation
email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation
email, utilize the return receipt option built into your
email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume
of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to
respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we
determine that your skills and experience match the position
requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity
further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit
our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity