Friends of UNFPA (FOU), established in 1998 and headquartered in
New York City, is the US non-profit working with UNFPA, the lead
United Nations agency for reproductive health and rights for
We want a world where women become pregnant only when they want
to. A world where giving birth is safe for every mother and child.
And a world where women and girls live free from harmful practices
and violence. By supporting and empowering women and girls, we will
be creating a world that is better for everyone. We won’t stop
until this becomes reality, no matter what.
We use our voice passionately to bring women and girls across
the world access to family planning and reproductive health care,
and to keep them safe from violence and harmful practices. We
champion the rights of women and girls to make their own decisions
about what is best for their lives and futures. And we help ensure
their real-life experiences and views are heard and respected. We
are a catalyst for profound positive change among women, their
families, and their communities. To achieve this, we focus
relentlessly on inspiring people to support UNFPA’s vital and
Under new leadership, FOU has developed an ambitious new
strategy; aimed at raising $100m for UNFPA’s vital work by 2030.
Working in close partnership with UNFPA we have exciting plans to
grow and build sustainable fundraising programs. As part of that
effort, we are seeking to grow our team.
POSITION SUMMARY: Director of Digital Fundraising &
The Director of Digital and Engagement (Director) will be
responsible for developing and executing the strategy to raise
revenue from individuals giving below $2,000 per annum through
direct marketing, including digital, direct mail, telemarketing,
lead generation and emergency fundraising. The Director will be
responsible for all donor recruitment, retention and engagement
activities to generate supporters and both monthly and one-time
donors with a focus on strong donor loyalty and lifetime value.
S/he will also be responsible for overseeing FOU’s digital
Reporting to the CEO and as part of the Senior Management Team
at Friends of UNFPA, the Director will work in close coordination
with the Development and Operations teams to develop and achieve
overall organizational objectives.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop overall strategic direction, objectives and budget for
the digital fundraising and communications program.
• Manage the Annual Planning and Budget process, including
developing an integrated fundraising and communications calendar,
and achieve strategic objective and revenue targets.
• Develop and implement a fundraising and communications program
that delivers strong donor loyalty and builds donor lifetime
• Increase both monthly and one-time donations from individuals
using various online and offline channels including direct mail,
telemarketing, digital fundraising, lead generation and emergency
• Grow our supporter base through specific lead generation
activities/campaigns and convert them to donors
• Identify and develop new opportunities, in both donor
acquisition and donor development. Recommend new channels and
tactics to test.
• Develop and implement campaigns that achieve fundraising and
awareness goals and lead fundraising activities during
• Manage Donor Development and Retention Officer to develop and
implement strong donor journeys for each donor segment, using a
multi-channel approach to improve overall retention and donation
value of donors
• Manage Communications Officer to develop strong content to
engage and retain donors and ensure brand consistency and
• Manage Social Media and Website Associate to enhance FOU’s
image, brand, positioning and wider public engagement through our
social media platforms, website, and peer-to-peer platform.
• Work closely with the Development team to ensure an overall
strategically coordinated approach to fundraising and develop
tactics to move donors to the middle level donor and major donor
• Work closely with the Database Manager to produce ongoing
analysis and monitor campaign results to inform future direct
• Complete quarterly reports including reforecasts and progress
reports as required.
• Develop and monitor all key performance indicators and
analysis to support and inform the strategy and its
• Manage and lead the digital fundraising and engagement team,
providing vision and strategic direction.
• Set goals for individual team members and support and monitor
their progress against set goals. Provide training and development
for team members.
• Manage all RFP processes and oversee the appointment of
suppliers to support fundraising. Manage and oversee all contracts
with suppliers for the fundraising program.
• Liaise with Operations unit to ensure administrative
procedures are followed.
• Participate in FOU Board meetings and key meetings with
• Complete other projects as required.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Minimum of 5 years digital marketing leadership experience
preferably in non-profit organization
• Knowledge and experience of donor acquisition channels, donor
retention and donor development methods
• Strong experience with digital fundraising (overseeing paid
media and email program) is essential as this is our largest
channel of investment
• Experience with mid-level giving and monthly giving
• Experience implementing cohesive, innovative, aggressive and
integrated direct response strategies that have resulted in
measurable and significant growth in net revenue and donor base
• Experience with developing Annual Plans/Budget and with
fundraising reports, analysis and KPIs.
• Experience with fundraising-related databases and software
• Excellent donor and vendor communications and relationship
• University degree in Marketing, International Relations,
Political/Social Sciences or related field
• Excellent leadership skills
• Excellent English language (written, oral and
LOCATION, SALARY & BENEFITS:
• Location: Hybrid (Remote but within the U.S.; travel to NYC as
• Salary: Commensurate with candidate's level of experience,
skills, education, and training; adjustment subject to geographic
• Benefits: Friends of UNFPA offers health, dental, and vision
insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan.