Asia Society Career
The Membership Director will be a front-facing fundraiser
responsible for helping to rebuild the Asia Society’s membership
program, creating an accelerated growth strategy, including a
budget and timeline with measurable milestones and metrics. The
strategy will incorporate active outreach, acquisition, retention
and stewardship, including incentives and actions to move general
members into higher levels of support and engagement. Working
closely with the Prospect Researcher, this individual will build
robust prospect pipelines, convert visitors to Asia Society’s Head
Quarters to members, and take the member through the membership
journey for maximum retention and deep engagement.
This individual will plan and execute membership events and
ensure that all member needs and inquiries are met in a timely
manner. They will partner with key colleagues across Asia
Society’s core pillars: Policy/Business, Arts & Culture and
education to maximize programs as a means to win and engage
potential and existing members as a means to achieve the Asia
Society’s goal of growing and optimizing the membership program for
Asia Society’s New York Headquarters.
- Evaluate, develop and build the membership strategic plan and
work in coordination with the Chief Development Officer to ensure
the program supports and advances Asia Society’s strategic
- Develop and maintain annual budget for the membership
- Plan, coordinate, and implement lively and engaging member
activities with special events team, such as previews, trips,
behind the scenes, VIP experiences and other activities designed to
encourage growth in membership.
- Work with the Communications department on membership marketing
plan, including Member Preview invitations, general solicitation,
promotions, and special event promotion. Deploy Marketing Cloud
tools, as appropriate, including targeted online journeys.
- Write copy for member preview invitations, monthly membership
emails, promotional materials, and membership related events on the
- Ensures and coaches front-line engagement managers at the
highest level of customer service. Make sure that membership
renewals are fulfilled prior to deadline dates, including
acknowledgement (membership card with tax receipt).
- Ensure that all membership information is documented in the
Salesforce CRM database.
- Provide monthly membership financial reports to the Finance
office and monthly reports and dashboard information to the
Director of Individual Giving and the CDO, if requested. Provide
and present membership information reporting for Board Meetings and
- Work with Visitor Services to ensure proper training on
membership program, policies and procedures, and strategies to
increase on-site sales. Maintain visitor conversion rate reports.
In coordination with Visitor Services, handle all membership
requests, inquiries, or complaints on a timely basis.
- Plan and implement annual membership drive, direct mail, and
- Create and maintain membership mailing lists for member
publications, invitations, etc.
- Train membership interns in database entry and membership
processing. Oversee the activities and assignments of Membership
interns and office volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned, including assistance with other
Development projects and events when needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in
nonprofit administration, psychology, marketing, communications or
related field. 7+ years related experience in areas of nonprofit,
membership, development, sales or marketing.
- Detail-oriented, logical thinker who understands project
scheduling, time management and leadership concepts.
- Must be discrete with a high level of confidentiality in
maintaining membership information.
- Mature, enthusiastic and outgoing personality with high level
of customer service and sales skills is critical.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills with
the ability to interact and integrate with variety of people and
develop positive relationships.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivation, and attention to
detail are necessary as well as creativity in acquiring, engaging
and retaining members.
- This individual must have strong working knowledge of Microsoft
Office/Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and CRM
experience—Salesforce is preferred and Marketing Cloud is a
- This individual should have experience working with
mailing-houses, the bulk mail unit as well as printers, and graphic
ABOUT ASIA SOCIETY:
Founded in 1956, Asia Society’s purpose is to navigate shared
futures for Asia and the world across policy, arts and culture,
education, sustainability, business, and technology. We provide a
platform for dialogue and encourage a diversity of views as we try
to find the most effective ways forward. Headquartered in New York
City, the organization has 12 other Centers around the world, a
global staff of 235, and an annual global operating budget in
excess of $44m.
Asia Society is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and
empowering workplace. We believe that engaging staff, interns, and
volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better realize
our mission of navigating shared futures.
Asia Society offers a generous benefits package including
health, dental, and vision coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan,
numerous paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, self-development
hours, and more. Please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers
and click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits
Benefit package highlights:
- An HRA plan (fully funded by Asia Society) supplements our
medical plan and covers the full annual deductible.
- After 1 year of service (1,000 hours), Asia Society contributes
6% of gross earnings to an eligible employee’s 403(b) account,
regardless of whether the employee makes their own
- Asia Society offers Self-Development time off, including
Self-Development Summer Fridays between July 4th and Labor
Asia Society is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people
of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role, all interested applicants must
submit a completed application to the following email: email@example.com.
A completed application must include:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements
- Subject line containing: job title