- The Paley Center for Media
- New York, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Sep 1, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Accounting and Finance
- Arts, Museum, Other Fields, Public Broadcasting
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of media for the professional community and media-interested public.
Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, an international collection, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Archive – including special African-American, Hispanic, LGBTQ+, Women’s and Music collections – and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller role is a high-energy, entrepreneurial, results-driven, highly organized professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment and who will serve as a key member of the Executive Team and as an ambassador for a media focused non-profit, cultural institution.
The Controller is responsible for oversight of all accounting, budgeting, reporting, treasury, and investment functions of the organization in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all non-profit regulatory requirements. This is a hands-on position that includes all aspects of the accounting function and integrates strategic fiscal planning with management and performance of everyday operations. The Controller will have the business acumen necessary to develop and achieve credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the CFO, senior executives and the Board in performing their responsibilities. In addition, this position will demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and leadership. The position oversees the accounting and finance team, and works collaboratively and responsively across functional departments and staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead all day-to-day finance operations with functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and cash management.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards, regulatory requirements, and rules for non-profits (NYPMIFA).
- Monitor internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenues, costs, payables, program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Supervise the monthly closing process and maintain a monthly calendar and checklist of due dates for financial statements, internal reports, and contract deliverables.
- Review required journal entries and adjustments as well as complex entries for accuracy and completeness and responsible for the accuracy of all general ledger account balances.
- Supervise the production of monthly financial statements, internal management reports, and corresponding variance analyses.
- Maintain and coordinate the completion of supplementary account schedules for financial reporting.
- Coordinate and supervise the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors, prepare financial and regulatory audit schedules and supporting documentation, and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal financial reporting requirements.
- Prepare year-end tax reports and other regulatory filings as required.
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of departments.
- Oversee and optimize cash management, including developing policies and managing cash flow on a short- and long-term basis through regular projection reports, and monthly bank reconciliation.
- Manage and track performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Review and reconcile organization’s fixed assets.
- Manage and administer organization’s banking, corporate insurance, and credit relationships.
- Supervise the organization's payroll function, verifying the accuracy of payroll as well as the proper filing of all payroll tax returns and payroll tax deposits.
- Oversee organization’s employee benefits administration including medical and dental insurance plans, flexible spending programs, 401(a) and 403(b) profit sharing and retirement plans, commuter benefits plan, life insurance, etc.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of accounting and financial procedure.
- Provide leadership to the current accounting team members, including direct management of a staff of two employees, and support the CFO.
- Provide financial information for various grants as requested.
- Participate in other projects as assigned by the CFO.
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
- Extremely organized with proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Exceptional business writing skills and outstanding verbal communication
- Strong leadership and management skills with ability to lead cross functional teams.
- Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage simultaneously.
- Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving and research skills.
- At least 10 years of experience as a controller in a non-profit organization or as a public accountant dealing with non-profit clients.
- Candidates must have a proven track record working with non-profit organizations and a hands-on knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP and Microsoft Management Reporter.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance required; Master’s preferred; CPA qualification desirable (but not required).
- Strong technical accounting skills including understanding of GAAP.
- Expertise and best practice knowledge on streamlining and implementing consistent accounting processes.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Supervisory experience with a demonstrated ability to motivate staff, work effectively with colleagues and report upstream effectively.
- Highly accountable and trustworthy with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, collaborative team culture.
- Excellent ability to set priorities and manage against timelines, including with multiple concurrent deliverables.
- Must have well-developed written, oral, interpersonal communication skills with a high degree of sensitivity for confidentiality.
- Experience presenting financial status in an understandable way to financial and non-financial colleagues.
- Must be highly organized with a keen attention to detail.
- Complete COVID vaccination and booster.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert