Major Gifts Officer - Midwest (Chicago Metro-Area)
- National Park Foundation
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Sep 6, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Planned Giving
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Major Gifts Officer - Midwest is part of an expanding regional team responsible for generating significant individual gifts annually. This role will be a key member helping contribute to overall revenue of the individual giving channel, aligning with National Park Foundation (NPF) campaign goals focused on growing to a $200M/year organization.
The Major Gifts Officer - Midwest will structure and solicit major gifts ($25,000 and above) in the 5-, 6-, and 7-figure range, outright and multi-year commitments from an assigned and fluid discovery portfolio. As Relationship Manager, develop and manage up to 125 prospects to advance NPF national mission and strategic priorities.
The position is based in the Chicago metro-area will focus on discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors and family foundations primarily located in the Midwest of the United States with a focus on East North Central region including Illinois, Michigan and Ohio.
The ideal candidate will be located in Chicago, be familiar with the philanthropic community in the region, work remotely and travel frequently within the Midwest. Travel to NPF’s headquarters in Washington D.C. required, as requested.
The Major Gifts Officer – Midwest will be expected to undertake the following responsibilities and duties:
- Serve as a key member of the philanthropy team responsible for proactively building a pipeline by actively qualifying and managing a high-value portfolio of donors and prospects with capacity to give primarily at the five-and-six figure or above level.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director, Major Giving, establish annual fundraising and targets with clear deliverables and milestones for success, with an aspirational goal of $1M/annually.
- Build and manage a portfolio of up to 125 prospective donors. Oversee and drive all aspects of the giving cycle.
- Develop short and long-term cultivation strategies for individuals, from qualification and cultivation through solicitation and stewardship via in-person meetings, events, and written communications.
- Develop key relationships and close gifts of $25,000 and above, identifying opportunities to deepen relationships and solicit blended gifts - which includes multi-year major gift commitments, outright annual gift and planned gift conversations.
- Educate prospective donors on NPF’s national mission, raising funds for both unrestricted and restricted support in alignment with organizational priorities. Stay current on NPF programmatic needs, budgets, and priorities.
- As Relationship Manager, monitor and drive all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations. Write and deliver proposals and other donor-centric correspondence.
- Move donors in appropriate, timely, and strategic fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Maintain timely visitation reports, accurate record correspondence, meetings, donor strategies, and moves management activities in donor database.
- Work collaboratively and as a team with volunteer and staff leadership, including Sr. VP Major & Foundation Giving, Chief of Philanthropy, and Office of the President, to cultivate and solicit prospective donors.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
The ideal candidate for the position of Major Gifts Officer – Midwest will have:
- A proven track record: Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a portfolio of donors in the 5-, 6- and 7-figure level that resulted in increased giving.
- Donor collaboration: Ability to understand the interests of major gift donors while connecting them to NPF priorities and developing long-lasting relationships that maximize gifts to benefit the national parks.
- Expertise in Major Gift fundraising: Fundamental and industry-accepted standards for all aspects of the gift cycle involving prospects and donors.
- Excellent communication: Ability to interface effectively with the highest level of NPF donors and senior staff members, verbally, in writing, and through professional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel: Work well from home, and travel extensively throughout East North Central region, and when required, Washington D.C. Some evenings, weekends and holiday work will be required.
- Self-Motivation: Ability to both thrive in a growing, fluid, collaborative, team-oriented environment and to work independently effectively while sharing information openly.
- Passion for NPF’s mission: Dedication to promoting NPF’s core mission and priorities and connecting donor’s philanthropic impact to advancing shared goals.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge NXT or similar donor database.
Preferred education and experience:
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position and a minimum of five years in development with specific expertise in major gift fundraising. As the position is remote, working from your home office, the ideal candidate will be based in Chicago, and have experience with the philanthropic landscape in the Mid-West and East North Central region. A master’s or advanced degree is preferred.
*** For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume. A writing sample related to topic is a plus.***
To apply, please visit https://tinyurl.com/yckn3esy
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert