The AKP Staff Accountant position is responsible for maintaining
AKP accounts and overseeing grants and contracts, ensuring the AKP
project pipeline reflects the highest standards in nonprofit
financial and grant management standards.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Maintain all aspects of AKP accounts, including standard Profit
& Loss (P&L) reporting, Balance Sheet, monthly
reconciliation of all bank accounts, internal reporting by national
and international A&K offices, etc.
- Prepare for and oversee the conduct of the annual audit.
- Help develop and manage the entire “AKP project pipeline,” of
grants, including grant agreements, requisite written and financial
- Ensure project accounting is consistent with donor objectives
and the highest level of integrity regarding the use of donor
- Develop and sustain working relationships with partner
organizations for purposes of efficient financial reporting and
ongoing account maintenance.
- Assist in the design and collection of project impact data
based on established M&E targets.
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets and facilitate
payments from/to partner organizations and contractors as necessary
consistent with internal financial protocols.
- Communicate about financial reports on a regular basis with AKP
offices in the US, TOC’s, DMC’s and through Sanctuary Retreats
- Knowledge of US 501c3 (nonprofit) rules & reporting
- Maintain strong and effective communication with all
stakeholders, grantees, donors, foundations, and all other entities
involved with AKP project development and implementation,
especially regarding financial topics.
- Support AKP Coordinators in the field, currently nine, with all
manner of financial and grants-related communications, collection
of monthly financial reports, etc.
Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Support fundraising efforts through all appropriate TOC, DMC,
and SR channels.
- Maintain donor database in eTapestry (donor management
- Generate and distribute both acknowledgment letters and formal
receipts for guest donations.
- Assist in report preparation for ongoing communication with
donors and, as necessary, their foundation representatives.
- Help to identify possible business partnerships/synergies which
may be beneficial to the projects.
Financial and Project Budget Management
- Ensure all costs are recorded transparently for management and
- Maintain up-to-date records of project funding status; help to
flag shortfalls when, if, they may occur.
- Support oversight and financial responsibility for AKP
investments worldwide, ensuring that projects are supported and
developed with all due financial proficiency.
Skills and Abilities
- Good command of written and spoken English (additional language
is an advantage)
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Extensive knowledge and comfort utilizing Quickbooks
- Appropriate background in standard accounting practices,
including knowledge of legal nonprofit 501-c-3 reporting
- Experience collecting data and compiling financial information
- Preference for international living or work experience in a
- Positive attitude, motivated, well-organized and ambitious
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent experience
- A High School diploma required
- Three years of nonprofit experience is preferred but not
- Qualifications with bookkeeping; accounting certification