Vice President of Philanthropy
- Refugees International
- District of Columbia, United States
- $170,000.00 - $180,000.00
- Closing date
- Sep 8, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Annual Fund, Capital Campaigns, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events
- Advocacy, Community Foundations, Philanthropic Advisors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Refugees International (RI), a humanitarian organization which advocates for lifesaving assistance and protection for over 100 million refugees and other displaced people worldwide, seeks a Vice President of Philanthropy (VP). The VP will work closely with the President, the Board of Directors, the development team, and advocates to establish and execute fundraising and outreach strategies that effectively engage the philanthropic community. As Refugees International does not accept government or UN funding, thus enabling the advocates to speak freely and independently, the VP will develop multi-year strategies and set goals to cultivate individuals, corporations, and foundations to increase annual philanthropic support. The VP must be skilled at leading a dynamic team, building a culture of philanthropy internally, establishing consensus, and engaging the entire organization in development efforts. Based in Washington, DC, this person will report to the President.
Strategic Fundraising Design and Implementation
- Provide vision, leadership, and strategy for sustainable financial growth;
- Partner with the RI President to establish and execute long- and short-term strategic development priorities to increase support from individuals, foundations, and corporations;
- Secure transformational gifts (five figures-plus) and establish strong revenue support through compelling, donor-centered relationship building;
- Effectively translate programmatic offerings into a strong case for financial support;
- Identify and actively solicit prospects for current, capital, planned and blended gifts;
- Create and manage gift strategies and proposals and provide detailed actions, results, and timing of potential gifts, while addressing opportunities related to estate and financial planning of potential donors;
- Create and implement strategies to cultivate, solicit and close gifts;
- Couple strategic cultivation, solicitation, and closure results with comprehensive follow up with staff and board to institute organization wide fundraising and stewardship efforts;
- Design effective long term stewardship programs and opportunities for current donors;
- Plan, organize and execute all RI fundraising events (currently two major events and smaller events as decided during the year);
- Lead, motivate, and inspire a fundraising team, ensuring high
levels of professionalism, innovation, and accountability.
- Research and identify corporate, individual, institutional, and major gift prospects;
- Prepare and present monthly and quarterly planning and success reports to the president and board;
- Effectively use data, research, and analysis to identify prospects;
- Develop revenue projection data tools;
- Maintain a dashboard to track progress against goals;
- Assess fundraising systems and implement necessary improvements and integration with the Strategic Outreach department’s CRM systems;
- Ensure accurate recording of gifts and activities.
- Securing project and organization information, and detailed donor information (including historical data);
- Meeting quarterly fundraising goals;
- Creating and presenting monthly reports on fundraising progress for the president and board;
- Performing other major and planned gift donor activities as required by management or the board;
- Managing of people, process, deadlines, and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization.
EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION
- 10+ years of progressive development experience, with at least 5 at the management level;
- Experience developing and implementing innovative and integrated development strategies resulting in measurable revenue growth;
- Proven success securing five-figure plus gifts from private philanthropic sources;
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals of diverse financial and cultural backgrounds;
- Experience using social media, public outreach, and online fundraising tools;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with colleagues, board member, donors, and prospects;
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree/record of
continuing professional development preferred.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and public speaking communication skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines;
- Ability to work well with others in small teams;
- Ability to achieve professional objectives with good cheer, collegiality, and cooperation;
- Knowledge of CRMs; Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
SALARY RANGE: $170,000 - $180,000 per year
TO APPLY: Applications should include a cover letter and résumé. Writing samples may be requested. Please send the application to Refugees International Bamboo HR
Refugees International is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. RI welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert