Reports to: Director, Foundation
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time;
Nonunion - Level 2
Minimum compensation: $51,000
American Progress is seeking a Foundation Relations Coordinator
to join its Development department. The Foundation Relations
Coordinator will work under the direction of the Director for
Foundation Relations and in close collaboration with the other
directors in the Development department to drive a robust
foundation fundraising program centered around American Progress’
institutional priorities, designed to increase the amount of
support from American Progress’ constituency over the next several
years. This individual will research prospects; stay abreast of the
philanthropic landscape; help develop foundation briefings; compile
and copyedit proposal and report materials; help track donor
outreach and submission of proposals and reports; and update
American Progress’ Salesforce database on an ongoing basis, among
other activities. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven,
detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is
committed to a progressive policy agenda. The successful candidate
will be a self-starter who is able to effectively manage multiple
priority projects in a fast-paced environment.
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both
the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the
Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4)
- Manage prospect research for the Development department by
monitoring the philanthropic landscape; identifying and profiling
prospective donors and new funding streams centered around American
Progress’ crosscutting institutional priorities; and helping to
track prospect outreach and measure outcomes in Salesforce.
- Help prepare briefings for policy staff and leadership in
advance of meetings and telephone calls with prospects and/or
- Maintain library of American Progress institutional language
for use in funding proposals and reports and liaise with internal
contacts—including staff from the Legal, Finance, and Human
Resources teams—to update these materials.
- Regularly draft donor correspondence and institutional language
for proposals and reports.
- Compile attachments to letters of inquiry, proposals, and
reports as required by foundation guidelines, and when appropriate,
work with the Legal and Finance teams to obtain necessary
signatures for submission.
- Enter application and reporting materials into foundation
portals as needed.
- Manage internal grant announcements and related administrative
correspondence as well as external donor acknowledgement and
- Issue reporting prompts containing the necessary information
for relevant staff to develop grant reports. Provide initial review
of grant reports for consistency with American Progress style
guides, grant expectations, and donor intent.
- Coordinate with Finance staff to track grant spending and
identify potential issues that could affect reporting or projected
- Coordinate with the Director for Foundation Relations to use
Salesforce to track performance metrics on a quarterly basis and
report out to the Development department.
- Maintain accurate and complete Salesforce database records
using report dashboards, in coordination with the Foundation
Relations and Development Operations teams.
- Manage a monthly data integrity audit for the team and assist
with resolving audits as needed.
- Manage and maintain agenda and meeting minutes for internal
weekly foundation team meetings and joint meetings with the Finance
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of experience in a development department, or
relevant work experience supporting the cultivation and stewardship
of donor relationships.
- Experience conducting research using secondary source
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and
donor databases is preferable. Salesforce, Smartsheet, SharePoint,
and Power BI experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and the ability to
translate that commitment into compelling donor
- Commitment to the departmental values of being progressive,
donor-centric, and entrepreneurial; demonstrating integrity; making
decisions driven by data; and fostering a culture of mutual
- Knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with progressive
issues, causes, and organizations.
- Excellent organizational, research, and written and oral
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate and orchestrate
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Familiarity with the basic tenets of fundraising and nonprofit
- Comfort working with basic financial data.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize, and follow through on
- Ability to balance big-picture thinking with attention to
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in
a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to
apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a
minimum salary of $51,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community
spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes
to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at
the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs