Summary: In University Advancement, we believe in equity,
not just equality. We understand that in order to develop a fully
engaged constituency; individuals must receive equitable treatment
instead of equal treatment. Establishing equality means treating
everyone the same. Equity necessitates transforming our community
to meet the needs, interests and cultural norms of our University
The Front-End Web Developer leads Communication and External
Relations’ support of clients related to use of the content
management system (WordPress) and themes, including
troubleshooting, documenting functionality and training users. This
position also builds websites and performs digital functions that
support Wake Forest’s marketing messages and strategic goals.
This Job Is For You If You Are Able
What Skills do you Need?
- Work closely with Account Management and Planning to address
client-submitted issues, including solving problems,
troubleshooting and defining the problems for others.
- Build and maintain websites.
- Create and manage content within the content management system
(WordPress). Support Advancement units (such as News, Alumni,
Parents, Fundraising) in maintaining sites that help the department
reach strategic goals.
- Demonstrate solid understanding of CMS, documenting
functionality, producing training materials and holding training
- Suggest new functionality. Scope functionality requests for
back-end development team.
- Work with University clients on content organization, user
experience and other digital development areas.
- Provide support for other digital projects (examples include
broadcast emails, campus map, University calendar). Use
vendor-provided tools (such as Siteimprove) to improve user
experience. Interact with vendors, as needed.
- Collaborate with CER team to develop new digital products.
- Have high standards for your work and are proud to contribute
to a mission-driven organization.
- Contribute to a transparent and equitable organizational
culture where ethical and equity policies and practices are
understood and lived out by all staff.
- Have a passion for workplace diversity and inclusion.
- Get excited about the prospect of joining a team that is making
a difference in people’s lives every day.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree or higher plus one-to-two years of related
experience, or an equivalent combination of education and
- Strong WordPress knowledge.
- Ability to work with clients, including addressing requests and
- Ability to work well with different kinds of people (i.e.
non-technical clients, graphic designers, user-experience designers
and back-end developers).
- Knowledge of digital front-end development (i.e. user
experience, design, and content).
- Understanding of CSS/HTML coding, including current
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, mainly Photoshop.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to break down
technical tasks for non-technical people.
- Ability to move quickly from one type of project to
- Desire to stay well-versed with new digital trends, techniques
- Technical problem-solving skills with a work ethic to carry out
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission and values of University Advancement
and a commitment to equity, particularly racial equity, with a
willingness to proactively learn about it and integrate it into all
aspects of the work.
- Respect for the dignity and abilities of all people.
incoming Front-End Web Developer, Strategic Communications
(Digital) you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the
following characteristics and qualifications:
- Experience writing and editing for the web.
- Experience with project management software, digital
- Responsible for own work only.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have
shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for
jobs unless they meet every single requirement. In University
Advancement at Wake Forest University, we are dedicated to building
a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you are excited
about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly
with every single qualification on the job description, we
encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate
for this or other roles.