Position: Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Based on Experience
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
This is a mostly remote position, with the understanding that
in-person meetings and attendance at events for the purpose of
donor development are expected.
Candidates must live within the New York City Metro
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a
501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and
communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free
educational programming; dynamic public events; expansive outreach;
advocating for safer, more equitable streets; and consistent
collaboration with community and government organizations. Best
known for producing the world’s largest charitable bike ride, the
TD Five Boro Bike Tour, a ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five
boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets, Bike New
York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one
of the nation’s most-attended bike expos. Proceeds from these
events fund our free bike education classes, advocacy program, and
Bike Path, which provides training to New Yorkers with modest job
prospects, including those who are formerly incarnated, to become
Job Description: Bike New York is looking for
an experienced fundraising professional to join its team in the
newly created role of Director of Development. Reporting to the
Chief Operating Officer, this key senior staff member will oversee
all Bike New York fundraising activities including planning and
executing fundraising events, interacting with donors to encourage
ongoing contributions, creating new donor relationships, and
seeking out opportunities for financial support through foundation,
government, and corporate grants.
- Create new development function at Bike New York, create and
execute Bike New York’s annual fundraising plan and develop and
implement strategic plans and best practices for revenue growth,
driving and encouraging creativity.
- Ensure that Bike New York meets its annual fundraising budget
- Develop and implement the processes and structures needed to
secure current and future financial needs, including the selection,
implementation, and management of an appropriate CRM system that
will support donor relationship management, marketing,
communications, and growth.
- Develop innovative strategies to promote and increase
individual giving and inspire long-term funding relationships.
- Manage the identification and cultivation of individual donors,
and government, corporate, and foundation entities.
- Manage grant proposal and reporting processes.
- Monitor the progress of donor relationships.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the Chief Executive
Officer and Chief Operating Officer to ensure transparency of
- Provide in-person presentations to the board.
- Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer on cultivating,
securing, and managing corporate sponsorships.
- Commitment to Bike New York’s mission.
- Proven track record of achieving financial goals and successful
- Experience leading major giving campaigns and success securing
fundraising from corporate, foundation, and major gift solicitation
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and with a
detailed-oriented approach to development and fundraising
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organization,
exhibit flexibility with changing priorities, and contribute toward
a positive work culture.
- Experience establishing and maintaining CRM practices,
processes, and systems.
- Strong facilitation skills with the ability to develop and
effectively maintain collaborative relationships with a range of
diverse donors, partners, and corporations.
- Strategic thinking abilities with strong planning,
organizational, implementation, and time management skills.
- Public presentation capabilities to engage small or large
groups of participants, volunteers, and donors.
- General computer proficiency, competence with office software,
as well experience with various fundraising and e-commerce
- Ability to occasionally work outside of traditional business
- Skilled at cultivating meaningful relationships that result in
securing both monetary and in-kind multi-year support. Knowledge,
understanding, and relationships with the New York City donor
- Skilled in creating compelling written and oral communications
for fundraising asks. Ability to convey complex ideas through
brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting
materials to internal and external audiences of varying levels of
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive fundraising and development
experience with a proven fundraising track record that includes
- Computer knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office
(Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Google Drive, and common donor
databases (e.g., DonorPerfect, Raiser’s Edge).
- Contribute to and commit to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Please send resumes and letters of interest to: email@example.com. Include “Director of
Development” in the subject line.
In compliance with the New York City employer requirement, all
candidates must be fully vaccinated.
Bike New York is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants
will be considered for employment without attention to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, veteran or disability status.