The Organization: The Human Vaccines
The Human Vaccines Project (HVP) is a small, dynamic, and
ambitious global non-profit organization moving full-speed-ahead on
our mission to accelerate the development of vaccines and
immunotherapies against major global infectious diseases and
cancers by decoding the human immune system. The immune system is
at the core of our ability to adaptively respond to an ever
changing and evolving world of disease threats. By decoding the
human immune system, we can empower scientists to design more
effective vaccines and immunotherapies for an almost limitless
range of diseases -- potentially transforming public health in the
The Role: VP of Development
Salary Range: $100,000 - $110,000
The VP of Development reports directly to the CEO while serving
this mission-critical leadership role within the Human Vaccines
Project. The primary responsibilities of this role will be to:
- Identify promising funding sources with the capacity, passion,
and vision to support HVP.
- Design and develop a high impact development strategy.
- Inform, engage, and develop these funding sources successfully
as enabling financial supporters of the project.
- Build credibility, transparency, and trust within the broader
funding community to develop future, potential funders of HVP.
- Manage donor relationships.
- Accompany the CEO and others in meetings with donors, as
In the future, the role may be responsible for building and
leading a development team, but for now it will be an individual
contributor role focused upon very well-defined financial
development deliverables on behalf of HVP collaborating with
The position requires a confident, credible, inquisitive,
communicative, successful and experienced development professional.
The individual considered must demonstrate the confidence and
personal demeanor that exude character, strategic acumen, humility,
competence, and candor derived from notable achievement.
A more granular view of what constitutes the VP’s success would
- Solidifies themselves as an integral, high-impact member of
HVP’s leadership team.
- Raises the funding necessary for HVP to fully execute on the
plan according to the project steps outlined. They place a high
value on building relationship with donors and to continually
keeping them informed as to progress and project impact.
- Provides significant input into overall strategic decisions at
In summary, the VP is part of a small, highly-committed team
that successfully executes on the opportunity to harness the human
immune system to enable people to live much healthier—and
The Successful Candidate
- An undergraduate degree.
- A minimum of ten years of development/fundraising experience
including closure of 7-figure gifts from high-net-worth
individuals, from venture capital or early-stage funding entities,
or other forms of high risk/high impact funders.
- Proven experience as a leader/influencer of a successful,
innovative initiative where entrepreneurial drive and an inherent
sense of urgency are demonstrated.
- Experience as a senior, contributing member of the leadership
team of an organization with a successful fundraising track
- A personal track record of experiences and successes that
causes him/her to be an interesting, compelling individual for
targeted donors to meet.
- Experience in working with board members and/or volunteers in
- Communicate breakthrough ideas and their impact on people based
upon research and discovery.
- Convey effectively the enormity of HVP’s vision along with its
potential payoff for humankind.
- Use available resources, identify and research prospects who
have a potential interest in HVP.
- Develop prospect strategies and the steps, both internal and
external, that will lead to a successful outcome.
- Prepare the CEO and others for activities and conversations to
advance prospect relationship.
- Ability to record and track multiple prospect initiatives
accurately and thoughtfully.
- An executive presence and credibility that extends well beyond
his/her functional skill set.
- Shows a natural interest in scientific research and
- Operates with a sense of partnership and is able to quickly
become part of an evolving team. Serves as an active participant in
the senior team and able to contribute to the formulation of
- Sets a high bar for performance and models positive, winning
behavior for all to see.
- Places a high value on building trusting and transparent
relationships both internally and externally.
- Has the confidence and perspective to serve as a solid sounding
board and business partner to balance HVP’s leadership team.
We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed
and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose
understanding of social and cultural issues can help make our work
and workforce more inclusive. We encourage people of all racial,
economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, and gender
expressions to apply. As such, our commitment is to promote equal
employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking
employment. People of color, women, LGBTQI+ people, people with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and
your resume to HR@humanvaccinesproject.org