Pivotal supports young people in and from foster care to realize
their educational and career goals and ensure their equitable
access to opportunity. We envision a community in which every young
person gets the education, career, and life they want for
themselves. In support of this vision and mission, Pivotal provides
highly individualized academic and career-oriented services to
current and former foster youth at the high school and
post-secondary levels. Pivotal also works with community
stakeholders to affect systemic change in the opportunities offered
to youth from the foster care system.
Pivotal is a dynamic, fast-growing organization that challenges
staff to reflect and grow to remain ever more responsive to our
youth, providing the highest quality services. Our approach is
data-driven and evidence-based.
At Pivotal, we acknowledge and celebrate the power of diversity.
Our collaborative culture promotes innovation and benefits our
team, the youth we serve, and our community as a whole. Pivotal is
proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are seeking a proven pro! If you have a track record of
attracting new high-dollar donors, artfully stewarding existing
donors toward multi-year and legacy gifts, AND a passion for a
mission that focuses on giving foster youth, an under-resourced
population, the tools, coaching, and foundation to succeed in
higher education and/or the profession of their choice, we’d like
to hear from you.
With a nearly 20-year history of helping foster youth thrive
through high school and post-secondary degree programs, we are
youth-centered and the youth voice of our scholars and alumni is an
essential part of all programs, events, and endeavors. Our
Board of Directors recently approved an exciting new three-year
Strategic Plan which continues to build on our proven track record
and provides opportunities for us to serve even more youth in the
The Major Gifts Officer will report to VP of Development and
will be part of an Institutional Advancement team of five with a
FY23 revenue goal of $3M+. The Major Gifts Officer will achieve a
major gifts fundraising goal through the identification,
qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of
effective relationships with current and prospective donors, and
must thrive on engaging donors and prospects, whether over email,
phone, or in-person. We are seeking someone with a natural ability
to create connections and inspire action for Pivotal’s programs.
The Major Gifts Officer must be highly organized, able to manage
quick or shifting deadlines with grace, and have experience with
systems and software to track and cultivate donors. Bonus points if
you are already proficient on Salesforce.
Our Major Gifts Officer will manage a portfolio of more than 25
individual and family foundations with the capacity and affinity
for contributing more than $1.5 million a year. The
expectation is to retain and upsell existing donors, recover lapsed
donors, and attract new donors.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Effectively manage and grow the Major Gifts Program expanding
the roster of the Pivotal Dream Makers Circle (i.e., individuals
who contribute at least $3,000/year).
- Create and maintain strategic moves for management plans to
direct and monitor the progress of donor relationships.
- Work collaboratively to create customized solicitation
strategies matching the objectives of the organization and
interests of donors/prospects to renew or upgrade gifts and attract
- In partnership with the Institutional Advancement Team and
Programs Staff to write compelling fundraising appeals that inspire
new and renewed donors to give through multiple channels.
- Create and implement donor communications and unique and
thoughtful acknowledgments achieving outstanding cultivation and
- Support the Institutional Advancement Team in planning event
programs by identifying and recruiting honorees, event speakers,
and personally inviting donors.
- Utilize Salesforce daily to manage donor pipelines, strategies,
and interactions. Partner with the Development Operations Manager
to ensure accuracy of donor information, revenue records, and
collection of documentation in Salesforce for all individual
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Commitment to Pivotal’s mission and vision to improve the lives
of foster youth.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of successful fundraising, major gifts,
sales, and/or client account management securing over $1M
- Experience planning and executing individual donor cultivation,
retention, and solicitation strategies.
- Experience managing a pipeline via a donor management
- Initiative and time management skills including the ability to
meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects to achieve
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Pivotal is committed to continually incorporating JEDI
(Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion) principles and practices
into all aspects of our work, and every member of the team is
expected to consistently demonstrate these core values.
- Pivotal is committed to ethical fundraising principles as
expressed in the AFP Code of Conduct.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a full-time, exempt position with a salary
range of $90,000 to $110,000 determined by experience and
qualifications. Benefits include the following:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance paid for by the
- Employee life insurance and accidental death &
dismemberment insurance paid for by the organization
- 401K plan with annual employee contribution match by the
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) paid for by the
- Flexible work schedule
- 15 days per annum paid time off; increases over time with
- 12 paid holidays
- Located in the middle of downtown San Jose within walking
distance of many restaurants and coffee houses
- Close to VTA Light Rail (closest stop ½ block away)
- Paid parking in a nearby covered lot
- Free on-site gym, games room, and indoor bike storage in the
Pivotal’s office is in downtown San Jose. The role is based in
San Jose and regular work in the office and local community is
required. This position will spend time sitting and using
office equipment and computers. The successful candidate will
be required to have a full background check and will need to
provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19, including a booster
if eligible, or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption
All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of
political affiliation, race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or
other non-merit factors. If you need any assistance or
accommodation in the application process, feel free to reach out to
us at (408) 484-6200.