ABOUT NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART: The mission of
the National Gallery of Art is to serve the nation by welcoming all
people to explore and experience art, creativity, and our shared
humanity. Conceived and given to the people of the United States by
Andrew W. Mellon, the National Gallery serves as a center of visual
art, education, and culture.
The collection of more than 150,000 paintings, sculptures,
decorative arts, photographs, prints, and drawings spans the
history of Western art and showcases some of the triumphs of human
creativity. Each object accessioned into the collection is
privately donated or purchased with privately donated funds. Loan
exhibitions further enable the museum to display art from a wider
range of cultures and periods. The Gallery welcomes more than five
million visitors each year—60 percent from outside the District’s
metropolitan area. Admission to the National Gallery is free at all
Located on the National Mall between 3rd and 9th Streets along
Constitution Avenue, NW in Washington, DC, the National Gallery of
Art’s campus includes the West Building, inaugurated in 1941; the
East Building, which opened in 1978; and Sculpture Garden, which
opened in 1999. For more additional on the National Gallery’s
virtual programs, collections, exhibitions, and more, please visit
FUNDING: In FY 2020, the National Gallery had
an annual operating budget of approximately $170 million, 80% of
which is received from federal funding sources. Annual contributed
support is approximately $30 million.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The National Gallery is
currently completing a new strategic plan that will: reflect and
attract the nation; build deeper connections through content;
provide a visitor-focused experience; and operate a sustainable and
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports to and works closely
with the Deputy Director and his entire external affairs team,
which includes the offices for special events, communications,
visitor experience, and content strategy and branding to develop
and implement strategies that attract, welcome, and engage diverse
donors from across the nation. He/she/they will secure private
funds that fulfill the Gallery’s expanded vision for serving the
nation, and foster a strong culture of philanthropy to ensure that
the Gallery builds upon its ability to achieve its mission, goals,
and objectives for years to come. The CDO also oversees
solicitation and stewardship of the Gallery’s Trustees’ Council and
donor circles that offer opportunities for volunteer engagement and
support. The CDO manages a full-time team of 22.
- Genuine interest in and appreciation for the National Gallery
and its mission.
- Outstanding development professional in the arts, culture,
education, or other related fields with a successful history of
leadership in a competitive philanthropic landscape.
- Demonstrate ability to create and implement successful
strategies to expand a national and international donor base.
- Ability to evaluate, assess, and reimagine the current donor
affinity group structure.
- Success building a pipeline of prospects and managing a
portfolio of major gift donors and prospects.
- Frontline major gift solicitation experience having secured 6-
to 7-figure gifts.
- Capital campaign experience.
- Strategic and creative thinker.
- Proven ability to foster, enhance, and expand relationships
with existing donors and to influence and tap new, diverse
- Highly developed administrative, interpersonal, and social
- A collaborative working style.
- An exceptional communicator who can craft and articulate
compelling, persuasive cases for support.
- Working knowledge of commonly used fundraising software
- Commitment to embracing current and emerging best practice
tactics in philanthropy.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and
to managing, supporting, and advancing a diverse team.
- Ability and willingness to attend evening and weekend National
Gallery events on a regular basis and to travel as needed.
Howe-Lewis International is pleased to assist the National
Gallery of Art with this exciting search. Please click
here to apply online via the Howe-Lewis Talent Portal. You
may also email your resume and letter of interest to