The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization
committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since
its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through
dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical
challenges facing communities in the United States and around the
world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus
in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of
Commitment to Diversity, Equity &
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable
society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles
of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors
such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of
staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment,
and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from
others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and
recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and
The Institute's Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA) is
a central division focused on Institute-wide donor and prospect
engagement. Areas of practice include: principal and major gift
fundraising, corporate and foundation relations, annual giving and
membership programming through the Institute's Society of Fellows,
planned giving, trustee engagement, major events, stewardship,
prospect research, gift accounting, and Advancement
The Senior Associate, Prospect Research will research,
prepare, and provide biographical and financial profiles and
reports on potential and identified individuals, foundations, and
corporations. The researcher plays a critical role in developing
the Institute's donor pipeline as well as maintaining systems for
prospect, portfolio, and proposal management.
The successful applicant will be an outstanding communicator
with demonstrated excellent writing skills and a command of
research and database tools. With an energetic drive, professional
curiosity, and attention to detail, the prospect researcher will
have close interaction with Institute fundraisers in a fast-paced
This position is within the Aspen Institute's Office of
Institutional Advancement. We offer a dynamic and challenging work
environment with opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform research, conduct financial analysis, and prepare
briefs and profiles on individuals, corporations, foundations, and
other organizations to support Aspen Institute fundraisers
including the President's Office.
- Conduct research proactively and as-requested according to
the ethical standards of the Association of Professional
Researchers for Advancement (APRA).
- Manage incoming prospect research and project request list
to meet required deadlines.
- Update and maintain donor and donor prospect profiles and
database records, including biographical, financial, and
- Independently and proactively identify new donor
- Develops local and national prospect lists and generates
profiles in support of various campaigns, projects, events, and
- At all times uphold the utmost integrity and sensitivity
while working with donor's information and interacting with
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Extremely detailed and process oriented, with the capacity
to see the bigger picture and make connections among projects and
- Ability to synthesize large quantities of data into a
user-friendly and concise format.
- Proficiency working with databases, prospect research tools,
and internet-based research.
- Understanding of fundraising best practices and procedures.
Familiarity with current trends in philanthropy.
- Experience with keeping a positive attitude while in a
fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capacity to learn quickly and adapt to new teams
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Discretion when dealing with confidential and personal
- Commitment to producing work of exceptional quality and
dedication to superior customer service with an emphasis on
- Passion for the mission of the Aspen Institute and desire to
support the advancement of its work.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter. Applications with a
cover letter will be given preference..
The Institute has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination
policy for all employees who will work at one of our physical
locations, attend any of our in-person events or travel on behalf
of the Institute. Staff unable to be vaccinated may request an
exemption under certain circumstances.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected
veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated