McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that
Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts
colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and
sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including
dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs.
McDaniel College invites applications for a Director of Special
Philanthropy Programs & Family Giving. Salary for this
full-time position is commensurate with qualifications and
experience. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering
our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement
accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending
accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave.
Visit College website
The Director of Special Philanthropy Programs and Family Giving
has overall responsibility for the development and execution of a
program to cultivate, solicit, and steward affinity groups, alumni,
parents, and friends to support the College. This includes
family philanthropy and any special initiatives that may be
identified by the College in collaboration with the Vice President
and Associate Vice President of Institutional Advancement. The
Director will be responsible for raising $700k - $900k annually
(annual goal may be adjusted due to extenuating circumstances such
as the economy but will be established prior to the start of each
FY in coordination with the VP for Institutional Advancement and
the AVP). The Director will also manage identified milestone
reunion years and build reunion giving for identified reunions.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years or more of demonstrated
success in fundraising or a similar field, preferably in an
educational setting, required.
- Demonstrated success in the cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship of major gift prospects preferred.
- Strong analytical and independent decision-making capability
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
environment critical for success.
- The ability to develop and execute a new program and the
determination necessary to grow that program required.
- Valid state driver’s license with two or less points and
ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- The ability to recruit, motivate, and direct volunteers
- Maturity, good judgement, and the ability to hold confidences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Strong computer skills and experience with business systems and
social media strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in data-based systems and business software is
essential; preferably Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge/NXT.
- Flexible and available for evening, weekend, or early morning
events and meetings required.
- Ability to travel as needed to manage a prospect portfolio
For a complete job description including qualifications and to
apply, please visit the college’s employment webpage.
Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing
position qualifications and related experience, resume, and the
names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will be
open until filled.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not
discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of
students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its
educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will
not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any
protected status including race, religion, color, national origin,
disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status,
veteran’s status or any other legally protected status. For more
information on the college’s commitment to diversity, equity, and
inclusion, please visit the college’s Campus
Diversity & Inclusion web page.