The Senior Manager, Foundation and Government Giving, plays an
important role in expanding the museum’s mission to celebrate the
role of Maine in American art by building ever-increasing resources
for exhibitions, programming, audience development, and general
support. This person identifies opportunities that align with
foundation and government goals to build lasting relationships that
sustain the museum’s fiscal needs.
Maine’s natural beauty is a beacon for artists with many major
figures in American art living and working in Maine. At the center
of this creative community is the Farnsworth Art Museum, home to
one of the great American painting collections in the country. This
is an extraordinary opportunity for an entrepreneurial professional
to make a significant impact. The Farnsworth has undergone rapid
change and is ready to take its place as a national
Grants & Foundation Relationships:
- Collaborate with the Chief Advancement Officer to set the
fundraising strategy for appeals that attract institutional support
as well as individual donor contributions. The Museum is in year
one of a three-year strategic plan that will serve as a guide.
- Build strong collegial relationships with the Executive
Director and senior leaders to help identify funding opportunities
for annual and longer-term projects.
- Work with colleagues to draft or edit formal proposals for a
variety of projects to various funders.
- Match priorities with appropriate funders based on meaningful
and mutually beneficial goals.
- Guide the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship process,
engaging others as appropriate, to ensure successful
- Maintain a rigorous research process to identify new funders
for the institutional funding pipeline.
- Develop timetable and proposal process for each grantmaker and
manage the annual grants calendar of deadlines and
- Facilitate the tracking of metrics and data, working with other
museum teams, to ensure the case for support is strong and to
provide accurate and timely grant compliance and reporting for all
active grants. Work with the Finance department to prepare budgets
and reports as needed.
- This position supervises a part-time, contract writer to assist
with grant preparation.
- With the Database Manager, ensure the grants calendar and donor
records are accurately and comprehensively recorded in Altru.
- As a senior leader of the Advancement team and the senior
writer of the Museum, contribute to the communications program in
strategic and specific ways. This may include assisting the
Advancement team copyedit or draft persuasive fundraising
materials, including proposals, case statements, impact letters
from the Director, endowment reports and stewardship
communications. It may also include proofreading marketing
materials such as the weekly enewsletter and press releases. This
person will copyedit and proofread materials in alignment with
Chicago Manual of Style.
- Drive innovation, effective professional practices and
camaraderie within the Advancement team and throughout the
- Stay current with emerging trends in the institutional funding
field and strategies in successful grantsmanship. Attend
professional development opportunities.
- Attend museum and advancement events and participate in
regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Handle all materials professionally and confidentially.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in the humanities preferred.
- 5 years proven record in developing relationships and securing
grants from foundation, corporate and government sources.
- Exceptional skills in writing, editing, interpersonal
communications, and project management.
- Team-oriented, highly motivated individual with strong
attention to detail and high level of professionalism and
- Demonstrated critical thinking, planning and goal-setting
- A curious mind and aptitude for research is essential.
- An ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment with
multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work both
independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and internet research.
Experience working with databases, preferably Blackbaud
Forward resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or
via out website at https://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/employment/