Located on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas, The George W. Bush
Presidential Center is a nonpartisan institution advancing the
timeless values of freedom, opportunity, accountability, and
compassion. The Bush Center is comprised of the George W. Bush
Presidential Library and Museum and the George W. Bush Institute, a
solution-oriented policy organization focused on ensuring
opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free
societies at home and abroad. Through policy solutions and
public engagement programs, the Bush Center promotes ideas and
conversations that reinforce the promise of America. Learn more at
The Accounting Manager will assist with the financial reporting,
accounting responsibilities and administration of the day-to-day
operations of the accounting function; apply proper accounting
treatment; follow appropriate internal controls; assist in the
accounting for complex reconciliations; analyze and interpret
financial results and perform special projects as required.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and/or review various general ledger entries and
reconciliations as part of managing month-end including but not
limited to various revenue streams, investments, fixed assets,
payroll and prepaids.
- Assist in delivering accurate financial results by performing a
comprehensive analysis of key expense line items.
- Prepare and distribute key month-end reporting to business
- Coordinate and participate in monthly expense reviews with
business partners to ensure financial targets are being
- Work closely with Facilities and Operations teams to manage
capital expenditures and apply appropriate accounting
- Articulate financial concepts to non-finance business partners
in a clear and concise manner.
- Assist in preparation of materials for committee and board
- Maintain all long-range financial models.
- Develop financial forecasts that accurately incorporate key
business drivers and initiatives; Analyze and interpret variances
to prior forecast, budget, and prior year. Explain key variances,
business trends, and performance drivers.
- Serve as a point of contact for internal staff for assistance
with expense coding, budgeting, grant reporting and other questions
- Communicate with banking and investment partners for wires and
- Assist Controller with preparation of audit, tax, and other
internal and external reporting requirements.
- Assist Controller with supervision of staff accountant.
- Aid with ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; CPA or
- Minimum of five years of accounting/finance experience.
- Strong data entry skills with meticulous attention to details
- Strong analysis and modeling skills.
- Budgeting, forecasting skills
- Advanced Excel Worksheet skills.
- Strong technical skills; the ability to learn particular
- Experience with Blackbaud/Financial Edge products, Concur,
and/or Centage/Planning Maestro preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush
Additionally, the qualified applicant will possess (a/an):
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, standards and
regulations, particularly within a non-profit setting.
- The ability to multi-process on an on-going basis.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the highest level of
integrity and confidentiality.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer
Finance & Accounting Manager