Located on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas, The George W. Bush
Presidential Center is a nonpartisan institution advancing the
timeless values of freedom, opportunity, accountability, and
compassion. The Bush Center is comprised of the George W. Bush
Presidential Library and Museum and the George W. Bush Institute, a
solution-oriented policy organization focused on ensuring
opportunity for all, strengthening democracy, and advancing free
societies at home and abroad. Through policy solutions and
public engagement programs, the Bush Center promotes ideas and
conversations that reinforce the promise of America. Learn more at
The Senior Accountant will assist with the financial reporting,
accounting responsibilities and administration of the day-to-day
operations of the accounting function; apply proper accounting
treatment; follow appropriate internal controls; assist in the
accounting for complex reconciliations; analyze and interpret
financial results and perform special projects as required.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Accounting Operations and General Responsibilities
- Prepare and review various general ledger entries and
- Prepare timely monthly close analysis for review with
accounting and management.
- Support financial analysis as it relates to short term and
long-range financial planning.
- Provide detailed analysis of accounting for month-end accruals
for proper expense recognition.
- Aid with ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects.
- Articulate financial concepts to non-finance business partners
in a clear and concise manner.
- Prepare schedules as requested during external audit and
federal tax return process.
- Administration of vendor records, payment processing and credit
card program. Including but not limited to monthly credit
card expense analysis, weekly payment analysis and annual 1099
Team and Relationship Management
- Serve as a point of contact for internal staff for assistance
with expense coding, budgeting, grant reporting and other questions
- Serve as intermediary between accounting department and
- Communicate with third party vendor and prepare reports as
needed to fulfill state reporting requirements.
- Communicate with banking and investment partners for wires and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; CPA or
- Minimum of three years of accounting/finance experience.
- Strong data entry skills with meticulous attention to details
- Advanced Excel Worksheet skills.
- Strong technical skills; the ability to learn particular
- Experience with Blackbaud/Financial Edge products, Concur,
and/or Centage/Planning Maestro preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the George W. Bush
Additionally, the qualified applicant will possess (a/an):
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, standards and
regulations, particularly within a non-profit setting.
- The ability to Identify and communicate key risks and
- The ability to multi-process on an on-going basis.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the highest level of
integrity and confidentiality.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer
Department: Finance &