The Hoboken Shelter
ABOUT THE HOBOKEN SHELTER
Established in 1982, The Hoboken Shelter provides food and
shelter, permanent supportive housing, and homeless prevention to
meet community members at varying levels of supportive needs. These
services help homeless guests develop the skills needed to gain
employment, achieve independence, and re-integrate into the
community. In 2021, the organization provided over 12,700
nightly beds and more than 120,400 meals through its Food &
Shelter program. It also served nearly 19,700 individuals through
vocational/educational/skills-building programs workshops and
outreach and successfully housed 108 guests. Learn more in
The Hoboken Shelter’s 2021 Impact Report and at www.hobokenshelter.org.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager
designs and implements The Hoboken Shelter’s overall development
plan and strategies. The Development Manager is responsible for
directing a development team and working with the Executive
Director, Board of Directors, committees and volunteers to increase
donor engagement and securing funding through direct appeals, major
gifts, planned giving, special campaigns, foundation and corporate
giving, and fundraising events.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Donor Identification, Cultivation and
- Leads identification, cultivation and stewardship of individual
- Partners with Executive Director, research and identify
prospective individual, foundation, and corporate supporters.
- Oversees the donor database to plan, track and analyze results
of development efforts.
- Manages the annual grant calendar, developing timelines and
managing the timely submissions of grants, letters of intent,
requests for qualification, and annual reports.
- Plans and oversees fundraising event, including the Spring
Fundraiser, Annual Fall 5K Race, Winter Annual Auction and support
other events as needed.
- Recruits and supervises event volunteers, ensuring organized
support leading up to and inclusive of the day of the event.
- Oversees the production and execution of fundraising events,
supporting the Board of Directors, event committees and executive
director in the short and long-term planning of annual and one-time
Appeals & Campaign Management
- Design and implement fundraising campaigns and strategies with
the Development team.
- Produce direct appeal campaigns, including newsletters and
- Manage the communications calendar and content with a focus on
increased visibility and fundraising.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising.
- Experience with annual giving, small to mid-level donors, and
- Experience managing staff, committees, and volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal); ability to
lead and be part of a team and detail oriented.
- Computer literate in database management, internet search
techniques and Microsoft office.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Hoboken Shelter offers a competitive salary. Benefits
include: vacation leave, sick leave, medical, dental, vision, 401K,
and life insurance.
The Hoboken Shelter is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. The Hoboken Shelter does not discriminate against any
person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability, age, political
affiliation or citizenship. All qualified applicants, including
minorities and women, are encouraged to apply.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the
application process may contact Envision Consulting
at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for
was retained by The Hoboken Shelter to conduct the search for their
incoming Development Manager.