About PanCAN: Pancreatic cancer doesn’t
stop or slow down, and neither do we. At the Pancreatic
Cancer Action Network (PanCAN), we accelerate critical progress for
pancreatic cancer patients. We take bold action by funding
life-saving research, providing personalized patient services free
of charge, and creating a community of supporters and volunteers
who will stop at nothing to create a world in which all pancreatic
PanCAN’s Precision PromiseSM is one example of how we work to
change the future for pancreatic cancer patients. Precision
PromiseSM is our groundbreaking clinical trial platform that is now
enrolling patients at top institutions nationwide. Precision
PromiseSM is what the pancreatic cancer field and our patient
community have been waiting for, hailed for its ability to
transform the way clinical research is done for this disease.
We’re looking for people who, like us, will stop at
nothing to make progress for patients. Our work is critical and
meaningful, and it changes lives every day. Join us and be a part
THE OPPORTUNITY: The Senior Vice
President, Community Engagement, currently reports to the
President/CEO and serves on the organization’s Executive Team, the
primary group providing strategic and operational oversight to the
organization. This position drives the overall strategic direction,
management, leadership, and implementation of the organization’s
volunteer network, including the current 59 volunteer-driven
affiliates and all other volunteer activities around the country in
alignment with the organization’s programmatic, outreach,
marketing, and fundraising goals.
THE OFFER: To encourage the people
fighting the world’s toughest cancer, we provide our staff with the
resources, care, and sparkle to do and be their very best in and
out of the office. We offer competitive salaries, variable
incentive compensation, flexible work arrangements, a
remote-friendly work environment, exceptional time off
practices, and top-tier health and welfare benefits – all creating
an extraordinary workplace and inclusive culture that celebrates
diverse perspectives, encourages innovation, and is highly
recommended to friends and colleagues by our team
- Exhibits a deep understanding of the concept of volunteerism
and its necessity and value to the organization.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to the CEO and President and an
active partner with the Executive Team to identify
organization-wide engagement opportunities and design and lead
volunteer programs both nationally and within the 58 geographically
- Develops strategies and detailed implementation plans that
align community engagement and volunteer programs with the
organization's long-term growth goals of raising $80 million
annually, increasing public awareness of PanCAN, and increasing
5-year survival from 10-20% by 2030.
- Oversees staffing and volunteer structures, operations, tools
and resources, and training to implement all initiatives and
campaigns, including PurpleStride, that engage volunteers and
ensures those efforts are consistently positioned to grow
engagement and revenue.
- Drives strong and thriving affiliates through strategies
focused on volunteer recruitment, retention, and succession
strategies with a diversity and inclusion lens.
- Develops local strategies for engaging with PanCAN
stakeholders, including companies, healthcare professionals,
researchers, the media, and the general public, in partnership with
appropriate stakeholders across the organization to deepen the
organization’s support base.
- Oversees the development and implementation of an annual plan
and budget for the Community Engagement department.
- Tracks progress and ensures accountability to measurable
outcomes for all engagement activities, including volunteer
recruitment and retention, awareness, outreach and engagement
activities, advocacy, fundraising programs, and other identified
- Work with the Volunteer Advisory Council (VAC) to engage our
volunteer leaders in developing and implementing the organization’s
- Inspires the development and engagement of staff and volunteer
leaders through effective motivation and team building, fostering
an atmosphere charged with enthusiasm and energy for the
organization’s goals and mission.
- Stays abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community
trends and ensures that the organization is informed of changes in
trends and initiatives that might impact the organization and
approach, which will characterize the organization’s relationships
with the community.
- Ensure the protection of the organization’s not-for-profit
status and reputation through proactive integration of appropriate
policies and processes with all volunteer programs.
- Has a thorough understanding of and champions the
organization’s mission, vision, policies, culture, values, history,
key stakeholders, programs, goals, and finances.
- Provides the driving force in the development of the work
ethic, culture, and values of the staff and through personal
example and leadership.
- Is willing to take risks and make vital decisions in a timely
fashion, even with imperfect information.
IF YOU HAVE...
- More than fifteen years of directly related experience.
- Comprehensive, broad, and demonstrated knowledge of best
practices in community engagement and organizing, volunteer
engagement and management, and peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Successfully led national field-based teams of staff and
- Experience in developing and managing large departmental and/or
- Demonstrated success managing large-scale national mobilization
events, including event and peer-to-peer fundraising
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive, solutions-oriented
demeanor, and the ability to build and sustain strong relationships
with staff, volunteers, donors, and other non-profit partners both
face-to-face and remotely.
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both in
writing and orally, listen as well as give advice, and respect the
ability of others.
- Must be able to demonstrate a collaborative leadership style
and the ability to develop and nurture healthy relationships with
people across a vast network of constituencies and diverse
- Experience working effectively and respectfully as part of a
committed, integrated team.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills,
including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of change management with the
ability to facilitate change and drive innovation.
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize the complex needs
of staff, volunteers, and community members.
- Ability to synthesize data related to current and projected
demographic changes, population shifts, economic forecasts, etc.,
and translate that to strategic business planning.
- Critical traits for success include strategic and proactive
thinking, expertise in planning and strong analytical skills,
decisiveness, and the ability to perform as a respected team member
- Board-ready executive presence and ability to influence and
achieve organizational buy-in with demonstrated presentation skills
and a track record of successes.
- Business acumen, technology skills, relevant technical
literacy, and knowledge to impact team efficiencies, effectiveness,
success, and growth.
- Sets the expectation that creating a diverse and inclusive
environment is non-negotiable.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION.
WORK FROM ANYWHERE! WE WELCOME REMOTE APPLICANTS.
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is an equal opportunity
employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all
positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status
protected under local, state, or federal laws.