Senior Vice President, Community Engagement
- PanCAN Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- California, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Oct 8, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Fundraising Administration, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Community Outreach, Government Relations and Advocacy, Managing Volunteers, Program Administration and Management
- Advocacy, Community Foundations, Health, Other Fields, Research, Technology, United Way
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About PanCAN: Pancreatic cancer doesn’t stop or slow down, and neither do we. At the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN), we accelerate critical progress for pancreatic cancer patients. We take bold action by funding life-saving research, providing personalized patient services free of charge, and creating a community of supporters and volunteers who will stop at nothing to create a world in which all pancreatic cancer patients thrive.
PanCAN’s Precision PromiseSM is one example of how we work to change the future for pancreatic cancer patients. Precision PromiseSM is our groundbreaking clinical trial platform that is now enrolling patients at top institutions nationwide. Precision PromiseSM is what the pancreatic cancer field and our patient community have been waiting for, hailed for its ability to transform the way clinical research is done for this disease.
We’re looking for people who, like us, will stop at nothing to make progress for patients. Our work is critical and meaningful, and it changes lives every day. Join us and be a part of it!
THE OPPORTUNITY: The Senior Vice President, Community Engagement, currently reports to the President/CEO and serves on the organization’s Executive Team, the primary group providing strategic and operational oversight to the organization. This position drives the overall strategic direction, management, leadership, and implementation of the organization’s volunteer network, including the current 59 volunteer-driven affiliates and all other volunteer activities around the country in alignment with the organization’s programmatic, outreach, marketing, and fundraising goals.
THE OFFER: To encourage the people fighting the world’s toughest cancer, we provide our staff with the resources, care, and sparkle to do and be their very best in and out of the office. We offer competitive salaries, variable incentive compensation, flexible work arrangements, a remote-friendly work environment, exceptional time off practices, and top-tier health and welfare benefits – all creating an extraordinary workplace and inclusive culture that celebrates diverse perspectives, encourages innovation, and is highly recommended to friends and colleagues by our team members.
- Exhibits a deep understanding of the concept of volunteerism and its necessity and value to the organization.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to the CEO and President and an active partner with the Executive Team to identify organization-wide engagement opportunities and design and lead volunteer programs both nationally and within the 58 geographically based affiliates.
- Develops strategies and detailed implementation plans that align community engagement and volunteer programs with the organization's long-term growth goals of raising $80 million annually, increasing public awareness of PanCAN, and increasing 5-year survival from 10-20% by 2030.
- Oversees staffing and volunteer structures, operations, tools and resources, and training to implement all initiatives and campaigns, including PurpleStride, that engage volunteers and ensures those efforts are consistently positioned to grow engagement and revenue.
- Drives strong and thriving affiliates through strategies focused on volunteer recruitment, retention, and succession strategies with a diversity and inclusion lens.
- Develops local strategies for engaging with PanCAN stakeholders, including companies, healthcare professionals, researchers, the media, and the general public, in partnership with appropriate stakeholders across the organization to deepen the organization’s support base.
- Oversees the development and implementation of an annual plan and budget for the Community Engagement department.
- Tracks progress and ensures accountability to measurable outcomes for all engagement activities, including volunteer recruitment and retention, awareness, outreach and engagement activities, advocacy, fundraising programs, and other identified goals.
- Work with the Volunteer Advisory Council (VAC) to engage our volunteer leaders in developing and implementing the organization’s volunteer-driven strategies.
- Inspires the development and engagement of staff and volunteer leaders through effective motivation and team building, fostering an atmosphere charged with enthusiasm and energy for the organization’s goals and mission.
- Stays abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends and ensures that the organization is informed of changes in trends and initiatives that might impact the organization and approach, which will characterize the organization’s relationships with the community.
- Ensure the protection of the organization’s not-for-profit status and reputation through proactive integration of appropriate policies and processes with all volunteer programs.
- Has a thorough understanding of and champions the organization’s mission, vision, policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, goals, and finances.
- Provides the driving force in the development of the work ethic, culture, and values of the staff and through personal example and leadership.
- Is willing to take risks and make vital decisions in a timely fashion, even with imperfect information.
IF YOU HAVE...
- More than fifteen years of directly related experience.
- Comprehensive, broad, and demonstrated knowledge of best practices in community engagement and organizing, volunteer engagement and management, and peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Successfully led national field-based teams of staff and volunteers
- Experience in developing and managing large departmental and/or campaign budgets.
- Demonstrated success managing large-scale national mobilization events, including event and peer-to-peer fundraising
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive, solutions-oriented demeanor, and the ability to build and sustain strong relationships with staff, volunteers, donors, and other non-profit partners both face-to-face and remotely.
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both in writing and orally, listen as well as give advice, and respect the ability of others.
- Must be able to demonstrate a collaborative leadership style and the ability to develop and nurture healthy relationships with people across a vast network of constituencies and diverse cultures.
- Experience working effectively and respectfully as part of a committed, integrated team.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of change management with the ability to facilitate change and drive innovation.
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize the complex needs of staff, volunteers, and community members.
- Ability to synthesize data related to current and projected demographic changes, population shifts, economic forecasts, etc., and translate that to strategic business planning.
- Critical traits for success include strategic and proactive thinking, expertise in planning and strong analytical skills, decisiveness, and the ability to perform as a respected team member and leader.
- Board-ready executive presence and ability to influence and achieve organizational buy-in with demonstrated presentation skills and a track record of successes.
- Business acumen, technology skills, relevant technical literacy, and knowledge to impact team efficiencies, effectiveness, success, and growth.
- Sets the expectation that creating a diverse and inclusive environment is non-negotiable.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION. WORK FROM ANYWHERE! WE WELCOME REMOTE APPLICANTS.
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert