Our Turn activates the next generation of diverse civic leaders
who know what’s possible for all students because they’ve built
power in their communities through leadership development,
grassroots organizing, and movement building. In the past few
months, our work and members have been recognized by Fast Company,
Buzzfeed, Teen Vogue, and more. We are seeking a mission-centered
Senior Director of External Affairs to advance the movement by
securing revenue and developing an innovative fundraising program.
The Senior Director of External Affairs will serve on our
Management Team and partner with our Growth, Communications, and
People teams to strengthen Our Turn’s sustainability, impact, and
WHY WORK FOR OUR TURN?
We approach our work with the audacity of believing that
students have the power to rewrite the rules of education in our
country and the humility to know that thousands have come before us
in this fight. We know that young people, especially BIPOC young
people, have been shut out by decision makers who shape their
educational experience and respond by providing transformational
leadership development and grassroots organizing experience that
flip the traditional power dynamic on its head. Our team is highly
collaborative and works with urgency, passion, and — most
importantly — a lot of joy. We create intentional spaces to build
our relationships and set aside time to celebrate milestones,
problem-solve together, or just share our latest Our Turn swag! We
are looking for purposeful, entrepreneurial social justice
activists to join us and continue the fight for educational
Fundraising Strategy and Execution (60%)
- Develop a development plan and dashboard that delivers on our
$2.3M goal for FY23, with a pipeline for future increases that
aligns with the upwards trajectory of the organization.
- Closely partner with the Growth team and youth leaders to
identify key operational and programmatic needs, and map those
needs to the fundraising strategy and landscape.
- Partner with the Manager of Development to manage a portfolio
of Foundation and Individual donors, ensuring timely execution for
all proposals and reports.
- Develop a strategy to diversify and expand our fundraising
portfolio beyond traditional education donors, including
foundations, grassroots donors, high net worth individuals, and
- Position the CEO to effectively manage donor pitches and
relationships through research, writing, and outreach.
- Create compelling cultivation and stewardship plans for
prospects and donors, and partner with the CEO to manage select
- Partner with the Chief Operating Officer and Director of
Finance to provide a consistent and transparent view into revenue
and cash versus our operating budget and expenses.
- Collaborate with the CEO to shape a fundraising culture on the
Board of Directors.
- Identify and share donor insights with staff members and youth
Strategic Communications (20%)
- Partner with the Communications team to:
- Develop and execute a donor-facing thought leadership strategy,
including, but not limited to, events, reports, and stories.
- Drive Our Turn’s placement at key events and conferences.
- Work across all teams to identify and distribute programmatic
stories to key audiences.
Organizational Strategy and Culture (20%)
- Oversee a team including a Manager of Development and student
fellows, and develop individual and team action plans that support
professional growth for all members.
- Collaborate with the Management Team to design and implement
the organization’s strategy, including strategic narratives,
dashboard development and management, and team action plans.
- Work across all teams to shape a values-centered, anti-racist
organizational culture, including ownership for select culture
- 5+ years of fundraising and partnership development experience,
with a track record of securing $100,000+ gifts across multiple
revenue streams, including, but not limited to, foundations and
high net worth individuals.
- Experience raising revenue for 501(c)(4) operations is a
- Significant organizational leadership experience, as
demonstrated by guiding cross-functional teams to measurable
- Achievement in developing marketing and communications tactics
that advance goals with target external audiences.
- Mission-first leader who develops strategies and action plans
in service of the organization’s theory of change and
- Strategic and compelling communicator with the ability to
inspire and persuade audiences around the organization’s strategy,
differentiation, and opportunity.
- Experience working in a remote, multi-state work
- Strong relationship builder with a clear unity of purpose and
generosity of spirit.
- Comfort and desire to work across lines of difference and
experience implementing inclusive and equitable practices in a
- Alignment with Our Turn’s Student Agenda: https://www.itsourturn.org/student_agenda
- Works easily with ambiguity, can change pace quickly, and can
start moving a project forward even before all of the details are
- Self-starter who operates with a growth mindset and curiosity,
and won’t relent before they run through the finish line.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $100,000-110,000 A
comprehensive benefits package is included with employer covering
85%+ of healthcare premiums. Benefits include: health,
dental/vision, FSA, retirement with employer match, unlimited
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Our Turn encourages individuals of all identities and
backgrounds to apply for this position and is committed to
recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student
movement (BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA community, first generation
college students). Our Turn does not discriminate against any
applicant because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nation of
origin, disability, age, marital status, military status,
parenthood, or any legally protected class.