Vice President of Institutional Advancement Job description
PAI is a global nonprofit organization based in Washington,
D.C., that provides grants, advocacy support and strategic guidance
to 96 partners and grantees in 33 countries throughout Africa,
Asia, Latin American and the Caribbean, to champion policies that
put women in charge of their sexual and reproductive health. At
PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: A woman who is in
charge of her sexual and reproductive health can change her life
and transform her community. PAI works with policymakers in
Washington, D.C., and our network of global partners to advocate
for accessible, quality health care and advance the sexual and
reproductive rights of women, girls and other vulnerable groups.
PAI champions progressive policies and funding that make sexual and
reproductive rights a reality for all. We fight to remove the
policy barriers between women, girls and other vulnerable groups
and the quality care — including contraception and safe abortion —
they need and deserve.
We achieve excellence not by simply representing different
identities, but by listening to, understanding and making room for
others to thrive. Diversity, equity and inclusion goes beyond
representation, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive and
For 56 years, PAI has been at the forefront of global efforts to
educate and influence key policymakers in donor countries, low- and
middle-income countries and international institutions in order to
support expanding access to sexual and reproductive health care
services around the world. To learn more, visit pai.org.
About the Role
PAI is seeking a Vice President of Institutional Advancement to
provide overall leadership for the design and implementation of
PAI’s development and marketing fundraising strategy in support of
PAI’s mission to advance sexual and reproductive rights women,
girls and at-risk communities and to advocate for accessibly,
quality health care. They will represent PAI and lead in
partnership with the President and CEO, build relationships with
U.S. and non-U.S. external stakeholders, raise awareness of PAI’s
mission and promote support for the organization. They will be a
key member of the Executive Team and an active participant in
making strategic decisions. The position reports to the President
Strategy and Leadership
- Conceptualize and collaborate with the CEO, Vice President of
Global Programs and Advocacy and other Executive Team members to
conceptualize and develop proposals for new initiatives.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic donor marketing,
development and partnerships plan in collaboration with PAI’s
Communications Department to promote PAI’s brand identity; broaden
awareness of PAI’s mission, advocacy efforts and priorities; and
increase the visibility of our mission across philanthropic
- Create and cultivate strong interpersonal connections with
individuals, foundations, institutions and corporations to build
PAI’s visibility, impact and financial resources.
- Lead the development of a world-class online and traditional
fundraising marketing and communications strategy for PAI.
- Develop, integrate and implement a broad range of donor
relations activities relative to the strategic direction and
positioning of PAI, external opportunities and emerging
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer and CEO for fundraising
forecasting and pipeline updates.
- Establish annual fundraising goals, strategies and metrics to
evaluate and measure success.
- Provide regular development reports to senior management and
the board of directors.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of the overall
Development Department calendar.
- Oversee the management of prospect research, databases,
records, files, gift processing and acknowledgements.
- Provide regular development reports to senior management and
the board of directors and participate in senior management team
- Establish and implement relevant long- and short-term
fundraising goals, priorities and infrastructure in consultation
with the CEO.
- Expand and diversify PAI’s donor base/pipeline while working
closely with PAI staff to secure funding for new initiatives.
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key
external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic
- Work closely with the board of directors and support board
members as they take on a more active role in fundraising.
- Lead the Development Department to identify new philanthropic
sources based on mutual benefit of social interest and donor
involvement activities in alignment with PAI’s long-term strategic
- Grow unrestricted funding through a major gifts strategy.
- Formalize a planned giving strategy.
External Philanthropic Network Engagement
- Increase the visibility of PAI across philanthropic
stakeholders and networks, allowing PAI to cultivate and enhance
meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external
philanthropic audiences, including the philanthropic media and key
influencers and advisers to donors.
- Serve as an ambassador of PAI, building relationships with
philanthropic networks and media that reach donors.
- Guide donor marketing campaigns for major giving moments.
- Advance PAI’s position with relevant constituents and drive
broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
- Oversee the development of donor cultivation and fundraising
promotional materials in collaboration with the Vice President of
Communications and External Relations.
- Lead a team of four fundraising professionals, including a
Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, Manager of
Development Operations, Senior Foundation Relations Associate and
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous
improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative
approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals,
assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities,
conduct annual performance appraisals and serve as a mentor to
- Build strong relationships across all departments and
demonstrate and foster a commitment to teamwork and
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field is
required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 12 or more years of professional experience in a nonprofit
organization with demonstrated success in a development function
(managing and forging relationships with multiple donor
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing
donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and
build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively
impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight but also
a team player who will productively engage with others at varying
levels of seniority within and outside of PAI.
- High energy and passion for PAI’s mission are essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual
strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with
exceptional attention to detail.
- International and foreign language experience a plus.
Annual salary range:
$175,000-$185,000 depending on experience.
PAI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes
health, dental and vision care, direct contribution 403(b)
retirement plan, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement
and professional development funds.
This position is based in Washington, D.C., and is open to U.S.
citizens and other applicants who already possess U.S. work
PAI operates under a hybrid (partial remote and partial
in-person/in-office) work environment for 2022, this is subject to
change in 2023.
PAI has determined that, in an effort to protect the health,
safety and well-being of all PAI employees working in the United
States, all U.S.-based employees must be fully vaccinated for
COVID-19, regardless of prior COVID-19 infection status.
Please apply at www.pai.org/jobs.
PAI believes it is strengthened by the diversity of its
staff, and welcomes such diversity, including race, gender identity
or expression, sexual orientation, age, educational attainment,
disability and veteran status. PAI welcomes all applications from
people of all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, and strongly
encourages people of color and persons with disabilities to apply.
PAI actively cultivates an institutional culture that reflects the
values of respect, equity and inclusion that it seeks to amplify in