The Director of Development is responsible for initiating and
managing relationships with St. Mary’s community of alumni,
foundations, corporations, and other constituencies using
best-practice methodologies for prospect discovery, cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship. This position reports to and
participates with the Vice President and the Executive Director for
University Advancement in the overall planning, integration, and
oversight of institutional development programs and serves as a
resource primarily to assigned school but may serve all University
areas as needed.
St. Mary's University, as a Catholic Marianist University,
fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for
the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and
professional education, and academic excellence: www.stmarytx.edu/about. St.
Mary's is the oldest Catholic university in the Southwest and
continues to advocate the Marianist mission. St. Mary's enrolls
approximately 3500 students in a diverse university with four
schools, more than 40 academic programs including Ph.D. and J.D.
programs, and numerous pre-professional programs. The successful
candidate is expected to support and contribute to the University's
Marianist educational mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Executes plans and implements strategies to maximize the flow
of resources to the campus from alumni and friends, with an
emphasis on major gifts.
- Works in a collaborative environment across the campus, in
close coordination with leadership in all academic areas to develop
and increase philanthropic investments in the University’s annual
and campaign funding priorities.
- Assists in formulation of plans to identify, cultivate,
solicit, and steward prospects among alumni groups and
- Manages assigned prospect portfolio and meets expectations for
donor interactions (metrics).
- Develops and executes creative and unique plans to engage
alumni in the fundraising process.
- Conducts fundraising presentations and writes funding proposals
for the St. Mary’s community of alumni and other
- Solicits annual, capital campaign, and planned contributions
from alumni and friends.
- Coordinates and executes school/program/campaign based
- Coordinates the transmission and acknowledgement of charitable
gifts received with the offices of Advancement Services and
- Provides and submits reports of all meaningful contact with
University prospects and donors.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university
required, with Master’s degree or higher preferred.
- 5 years experience in development activities and organizational
fundraising or related fund activities; preferably documented
success in major gift funding/closing.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation
- Must have valid driver’s license, motor vehicle liability
insurance and personal injury insurance; or have a self-reliant
source of transportation to conduct business on a daily basis
- Must be able to work some nights, weekends, travel, and attend
special events as needed.
- Experience with technology and software programs to support
- Ability to interface frequently with administrators, faculty,
staff, students, donors, trustees and high profile individuals in
the community; Must be highly responsive to the needs of
- Ability to think independently and take initiative to plan and
implement effective partnerships and relationships that sustain
existing gifts and generate new gifts, including prospect
identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Ability to stay abreast on all matters and activities of the
University in order to effectively articulate and incorporate
relevant information in an oral and a written case for
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records and reports,
as well as maintain confidentiality of all records and
- Ability to communicate and interact in an effective and
appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University
community, and the public.
- Ability to work in an environment that is busy, fast paced,
goal and deadline driven.
- Ability to write error-free correspondence and funding
Position is open until filled.
Submit: Application, cover letter, resume, and list of references
online at http://stmarytx.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
St. Mary’s University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an
Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to
furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all
qualified candidates apply.