Founded in 2003, The LifeFlight Foundation is a small, private
non-profit organization with an important public mission dedicated
to assuring that everyone in Maine has access to emergency medical
care when they need it most. The LifeFlight Foundation supports
LifeFlight of Maine, a distinct but interrelated 501(c)3 nonprofit
and an internationally recognized leader in transport medicine.
LifeFlight operates medical helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, and
specialized ground teams providing a full range of transport
services for both interhospital and direct scene support.
As more rural communities struggle to provide a full
spectrum of emergency services and as specialty care becomes more
and more centralized in Maine’s largest hospitals, the need for
LifeFlight’s services is increasing. The Foundation raises funds
for capital projects including: aircraft, medical equipment,
statewide aviation improvements, and the many educational outreach
programs provided by LifeFlight of Maine.
Vision: The LifeFlight
Foundation and LifeFlight of Maine hold a shared vision of Maine as
a place where every person, in every community, has access to
critical care and medical transport when they need
The LifeFlight Foundation is seeking an experienced
communications professional to join the team as the Communications
Manager (CM) or Communications Director (CD), depending on
experience. This position reports directly to the Executive
Director of the Foundation. The Foundation office is currently
located in Camden, ME but may relocate to the Augusta area in the
future. The CM/D can work remotely from within Maine but should
plan to be in the office occasionally as needed to meet with the
team and other stakeholders.
The CM/D will lead and manage a comprehensive
communications program that reflects industry best practices and is
designed to maximize charitable contributions and expand the reach
and relevance of the LifeFlight story more broadly throughout
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented, committed, and
collaborative professional to join a small development team where
he/she can have an immediate impact. The CM/D will build on
considerable brand strength to create and execute a robust,
multi-faceted communications program.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL
- At its core, this position requires excellent project
management skills. The CM/D is responsible for the planning and
active management of various deliverables throughout the year,
which all must be independently executed on time and on
- Deliverables often overlap and involve work with several
individuals, including external consultants, so having strong
systems for follow up and an ability to work well with others is
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent priorities
- Must develop and meet budget targets, key milestones, and
deadlines for all projects.
- Work with the Foundation’s Executive Director and team to
develop fundraising messaging and help implement and maintain
consistent messaging, for both ongoing initiatives as well as the
upcoming capital campaign.
- Serve as managing editor for all publications (newsletter,
website, annual calendar, annual report, and other campaign
- Maintain working awareness of issues and priorities within the
LifeFlight Foundation and LifeFlight of Maine.
- Develop targeted marketing plans for specific fundraising or
- While some relatively basic graphic design skill is necessary,
the CM/D will identify and manage the work of external designers
for various projects.
- Manage and direct all aspects of the organization’s social
media presence, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube,
- Oversee design, production, and maintenance of the LifeFlight
website, including content development and management.
- Responsible for overseeing the creation of and coordinating all
public relations efforts at The LifeFlight Foundation and for
LifeFlight of Maine.
- Develop news articles and feature stories that foster a
positive image of The LifeFlight Foundation and LifeFlight of
- Produce and distribute timely, professionally written news
releases and other press materials and respond in a timely fashion
to media requests.
- Build and maintain an active network of the state’s media
professionals for various outlets.
Event Promotion & Support
- Work with the Foundation team to develop outreach plans and
materials for events such as the annual golf tournament, Cross For
LifeFlight, and donor receptions.
- Secure media awareness for all events and facilitate media
- Partner to create support materials for community events
sponsored by patients, social service clubs, businesses, and
- Work with the LifeFlight of Maine/LifeFlight Aviation Services
leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive,
multi-channel communication plan for crisis or highly sensitive
issues. Be able and prepared to act as media liaison in crisis
- Bachelor’s degree required, emphasis in Marketing or
- Minimum of 4-5 years of progressive experience in
communications, public relations, or marketing.
- Familiarity with Maine is tremendously beneficial.
Experience / Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated project management skills and systems
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong computer skills and fluency in Microsoft Office
- Strong oral communication skills
- Graphic design and/or website experience desirable
- Fundraising/advancement familiarity beneficial
- Non-profit work and/or Board experience a plus
Applications will be accepted through October 24,
2022, or until the position is filled. Please submit an
electronic letter of introduction, resume, writing sample, and the
names and contact info for three professional references to:
Renee Johnson, Development Associate – firstname.lastname@example.org Renee
can be reached at 207.230.7092.
It is anticipated the selected individual for this
position will begin work in December 2022. Compensation range is
$75,000 - $90,000 depending on experience, plus a generous benefits