Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international
organization working with leaders in government, the private sector
and civil society to drive further, faster action toward
achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls
for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris
Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to
limit climate warming to below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way
we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart
of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing
on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable
Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization,
we maintain close links with the UN, including through a
relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with
SEforALL's CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General's Special
Representative for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of
UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General
and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the
implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of
sustainable energy issues in the United Nations
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them
in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves
transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action
must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies,
institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities,
entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to
achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen
global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an
engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making,
partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the
ground. The new SEforALL three-year business plan outlines “results
offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to
our funding partners the impact of their support.
Context and Objective of Assignment
The Universal Energy Facility (UEF) is being developed by
SEforALL as a major grant-based fund to accelerate the deployment
of decentralized renewable energy and—over time—clean cooking
solutions in multiple countries with energy access gaps. It
is backed by donors including the Rockefeller Foundation, IKEA
Foundation, GIZ, USAID, UKaid, the Carbon Trust, Shell Foundation
and Good Energies Foundation, and is now a part of the developing
partnership between SEforALL and the Global Alliance for People and
2020 marked the start of the final decade to achieve SDG7 –
access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for
all – by 2030. The world is not on track and a renewed sense of
urgency and new approaches are required.
Providing finance at the speed and scale needed to achieve
Providing finance at the speed and scale needed to achieve SDG7
requires a paradigm shift towards results-based financing (RBF), a
mechanism that guarantees incentive payments to private sector
project developers upon proof of impact.
RBF allows governments and donors to shift risk of delivery to
the private sector, provides regulatory certainty to industry about
financial support to be provided, aggregates financing and scales
support across multiple countries.
SEforALL launched and operationalized the UEF in October 2020 as
a multi-donor RBF facility designed to significantly speed up and
scale up the delivery of energy connections in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The UEF provides incentive payments to eligible organizations that
deploy energy solutions and provide verified end-user energy
SEforALL’s activities include designing end-to-end UEF framework
and processes, including qualification criteria, technical
specifications and KPIs; conducting analysis of base case
assumptions and financial modelling to ensure a sound subsidy
amount; setting up the UEF Governance Structure; carrying out
in-country due diligence and stakeholder engagement; and managing
the full process from pre-qualification and site-specific
applications to grant disbursements.
The UEF was launched in October 2020 with the application
process opening for mini-grid projects in Sierra Leone and
Madagascar. The UEF expanded to Benin for mini-grid projects in
early 2021. Over the coming year, SEforALL expects to significantly
grow the UEF to be a USD 100 million facility operating in multiple
countries in Africa, expanding the mini-grid windows and launching
new windows for solar for productive use (SSPU).
The main objectives of the Results Based Financing (RBF) Results
- To provide a funding mechanism that allows for scale, speed and
efficiency to achieve universal energy access by 2030.
- To operationalize and scale the UEF for mini-grids,stand-alone
systems for productive uses, and clean cooking solutions.
- Under the RBF programme, SEforALL also provides advocacy,
communications and outreach to promote and scale the transition to
results-based approaches to providing energy access.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The purpose of the role is to:
- Create and implement fundraising strategies in support of the
organizations near term (USD 100M cumulative) and longer-term (USD
500M cumulative) fundraising goals for the UEF
- Systematically identify strategies to attract funding from
current donors to SEforALL and to the UEF, and targeted new
prospects with the capacity to give at the USD 10M level and above
within the first year of engagement.
- Identify and plan for strategies to mobilize significant medium
term (2-3 years) funding for the UEF, principally from sovereign
donors and philanthropies, but also including consideration of
potential revenue streams from crowd funding, corporate
partnerships and climate finance.
- Working collaboratively with the UEF Senior Director,
SEforALL’s CEO/SRSG’, the Resource Mobilization and UEF management
teams to establish new donor relationships and manage engagement
with a portfolio of donors and prospects.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with resource mobilization and leadership
teams, actively build a donor pipeline, advance the engagements and
steward leading prospects through the full fundraising cycle
- Lead in developing compelling pitches, decks and other
communication materials that help build relationships and generate
- Develop funding materials including slide decks, concept notes
and proposals that meet SEforALL quality standards and articulate
clearly SEforALL’s and UEF’s case for support.
- Oversee the writing of proposals with overall responsibility
for ensuring proposal process is aligned to internal processes, and
that proposal development is proactive and anticipatory.
- Manage negotiations with donors and oversees contracting, and
ensures relationship management with key donors
- Partner with the UEF and communications team to keep abreast of
UEFs and SEforALL’s progress, crafting suitable messaging for key
updates and donor communication.
- Input and maintain clean, accurate prospect and donor data to
enable the Resource Mobilization team to efficiently fundraise and
report on outputs to volunteer and institutional leadership
- Conduct and support grant writing, negotiation, contracting and
project set-up for successful funding approaches and to see through
all steps to successful conclusion
- Support Resource Mobilization team and programme leaders with
prospect research and meeting preparation/follow up including
drafting briefings and meeting notes.
- Support SEforALL’s inclusion in key platforms that can
facilitate philanthropic fundraising
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work
area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise
SEforALL systems and processes to share the knowledge.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Master’s degree in Public Policy, International Relations,
International or Sustainable Development, Business Marketing or
Administration, Economics, Energy, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a partnership development
and fundraising including a track record of initiating, leading and
closing negotiations that total at least USD 100 million in the
past five years
- Working experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is considered a strong
- Prior experience working within the UN-system, international
organizations and with broad partnerships is highly desirable as is
experience working with energy sector stakeholders.
- Familiarity with energy fundraising landscape including funding
processes, particularly sovereign donor and philanthropic
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholder,
donor and/or investor relationships at the seven and eight figure
- Working knowledge of energy access, with particular emphasis in
developing countries considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience in translating highly complex issues
across multiple systems into straight forward and actionable plans
to complete a task.
- Excellent partnerships and ability to build relationships with
development partners, governments, and private sector
- Interest and aptitude in prospecting, cultivating, and managing
- Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with
- Strong IT skills including Outlook, Word, Excel (including
reports/macros/graphs, advanced formulas and pivot tables) and
- Professional level command of written and spoken English in
report writing for both general and executive audiences. Fluency in
German and/or French is considered highly desirable.
- Ability to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment
and demonstrated ability to prioritize in an ever-changing
environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to high
- It is imperative the incumbent has high emotional intelligence
and is able to work well with a diverse and distributed team, and
prioritizes integrity, respect and a positive team-oriented
General Competencies for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment
to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to
activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as
actively helps others in doing so
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has expert knowledge in
the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to
remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is
responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a very high
level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of
analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes
demanding information, develops innovative solutions and
contributes by presenting topics/approaches in cross functional
groups as well as decision making teams
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates expert initiative
and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of
responsibility, across teams and externally. Builds and maintains
effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the
organisation. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to
creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Builds alignment and commitment and
demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in working with
others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal
actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon. May supervise
volunteers and other junior staff members under their
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an expert level of
political and diplomatic understanding
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating
information and uses the skills effectively in the own scope of
work and regularly in others’ work. Actively promotes improvement
of communication skills within the team.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and
analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to
contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management.
Plans and organises their own work using project management tools
in support of achieving the team’s objectives. Actively promotes
use of project management as a tool to enhance efficiency.
Sometimes manages own projects and programmes.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills
in client orientation and strives for excellence. Serves as a role
model and contributes to the development of a client orientated
attitude in their team. Ensures long-term relationships internally
and externally through developing suitable services.
Our Values - please refer to our core
values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has
adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading
system. The minimum yearly salary for
this position is EUR 76,001. The actual
salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the
successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying
the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary,
SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes
contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance &
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial
and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed
professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the
pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its
locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and
flexibility and result orientated modern workplace
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing
countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level
below the advertised level of the post.
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside
SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent
necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance
with the applicable data protection regulations.
We will only disclose your personal information if we are
required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s
decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of
such an order so that you can take legal action against it if
necessary. Please email to email@example.com if you require
updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d
of the GDPR