Director of Donor Relations
Department: Donor Relations
Regular or Temporary: Regular
Hours per Week: 40
FLSA Determination: Exempt
Weeks per Year: 52
Open Date: 10/18/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Donor Relations plays an integral role in accepting, acknowledging,
and celebrating the support and gifts from alumni, families, and
friends of Trinity College. The Advancement leadership at Trinity
College is investing in their donor experience for all donors and
the Director of Donor Relations will lead the effort.
The Director will manage a team that implements a best in class
donor relations program at Trinity College, thoughtfully and
proactively cultivate relationships with donors, and steward them
with intentionality in order to maximize donor retention and
engagement. The Donor Relations team works to solidify and deepen
relationships with Trinity’s donors by providing timely and
accurate acknowledgements, ensuring that donors are informed about
their impact, and that they feel recognized and appreciated for
The ideal candidate will oversee and enhance an already high
performing comprehensive and proactive donor relations program
built upon the foundation of the four pillars of donor relations:
acknowledgment, stewardship, recognition and engagement; and manage
a donor-centered gratitude and impact program for all donors to
Trinity College. They will provide leadership, strategic
management, and planning with particular emphasis on top donors,
and will develop metrics and systems to monitor outcomes across all
areas of donor relations. The team consists of three direct
- Manage overall departmental operations: develop, oversee, and
guide donor relations team; set deadlines and objectives; complete
- Manage interdepartmental objectives: collaborate with
colleagues on strategy, ongoing cooperative tasks.
- Respond to general inquiries and requests for materials:
provide guidance and input; review gift agreements, reports, and
review other items for approval.
- Develop materials: gather data, write reports and documents,
synthesize spreadsheets, and respond to requests for such
- Facilitate special projects: manage and complete one-time
projects such as database update, interim assignments when a
position is vacant, refreshing copy, or facilitating
- Work collaboratively with the Institutional Advancement staff
to compose donor communications aimed at thanking donors
appropriately for their giving and determine strategies for
engaging donors more fully.
- Explore and implement use of new technologies (video, social
media) to tell student stories for our donors and prospective
- Ensure data-driven decision-making and reporting functions to
support the donor relations program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned and based on
At Trinity College, we seek to have our staff reflect the
changing demographics of our student body. Trinity is a highly
selective, independent, nonsectarian liberal arts institution
located in Connecticut’s capital, Hartford. With over 2,100
full-time undergraduate students and 91 graduate students, the
College maintains a rigorous academic profile complemented by a
vibrant and diverse co-curricular program. The College enjoys the
benefit of being situated in an urban center and has strong
academic, social, and philanthropic connections to our home city of
Hartford. Our student body is diverse, representing 41 states and
70 countries with 21% students of color and 50% women. Over 90% of
students live in campus residences. As the preeminent liberal arts
college in an urban setting, Trinity College prepares students to
be bold, independent thinkers who lead transformative lives.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus
4+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Ability to plan, develop and implement activities and
- Ability to work independently with excellent attention to
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written and verbal
- Previous experience working with and supervising staff.
- Working knowledge of various word processing, spreadsheet, and
database software applications is required.
- Evenings, weekends, and some travel is required.
- Preference for candidates with experience in higher education
or independent schools will be given.
- Degree requirement may be substituted with an equivalent
combination of education, training and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must apply online at https://trincoll.peopleadmin.com/postings/2788
by submitting their resume, cover letter and 3 references
to this site.
Trinity College requires proof of COVID19 vaccination
and booster or an approved exemption prior to beginning
Trinity College has partnered with an outside contractor, The DRG
Group, to provide assistance and strategic direction in this
search. In addition to submitting your application online, please
send cover letter and resume to Lynne Wester at email@example.com.
Trinity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action