How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position
and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover
letter should address your specific interest in the position and
outline skills and experience that directly relate to this
Student Life is committed to the education and development of
the whole student in a diverse campus community. Through our
facilities, programs, and services Student Life engages the
academic, social and personal growth of our students. We are
dedicated to serving students from every school, college, and
division and at each degree level, from undergraduate to doctoral
and professional. The social justice work of Student Life is
embedded through many units across the division.
Specifically, the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs, The
Program on Intergroup Relations, and the Spectrum Center provide
education, advocacy, and engagement via the lens of justice.
These units are focused on social change through
development of self, collaboration with others, and commitment to
citizenship. The effort cuts across all Student Life and
beyond, engaging and developing key partnerships. The effort
is guided by a set of learning outcomes and informed by an
integrative learning pedagogy.
As a team, we are hiring a Strategic Communications
& Marketing and Design Specialist to lead our
multiple units; the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs,
The Program on Intergroup Relations and the Spectrum Center provide
education, advocacy, and engagement via the lens of justice. Our
offices hold unique histories rooted in social justice, advocacy,
and activism that lives on through our programs and services
today. This position is charged with mindfully leading
strategic communications and developing marketing and
design using traditional and digital media to advance the work and
amplify the stories of three units. This position is
responsible for supervising/co-supervising a diverse student staff
who may have responsibilities like photography, social media
engagements, and graphic design.
Strategic Communications (40%)
- Develop, coordinate, and evaluate strategic plans around
marketing and branding for each unit using a social justice
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures for unit
- Identify and implement appropriate processes and platforms to
enhance unit communications.
- Provide content expertise and professional coaching on issues
related to communications, public relations and social media.
- Write for different audiences (donors, general public, parents,
students, general audiences, etc.) and provide unit staff
with best practices for professional communication.
- Develop multi-platform communication responses to urgent and
emerging issues impacting the campus community in
coordination with the unit's leadership.
- Identify, implement, and train units on technological and
organizational tools that aid in efficient and effective internal
and external communications.
- Liaison with Student Life Marketing and Student Life
- Provide unit leads with periodic reports of the effectiveness
of communications efforts and strategies for improvement.
- Work with Student Life Technology Solutions to develop
and manage a CRM dashboard.
- Elevate social justice education across campus and nationally
through effective storytelling and promotion.
- Work with units to design and distribute annual reports.
Web and Digital Marketing (40%)
- Coordinate social media strategies, policies, and best
- Provide units with oversight and guidance of social media
efforts such as Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, etc.
- Develop, manage, and deliver engaging and useful content for
specific unit websites.
- Maintain best practices for the effective use of communications
platforms and assist staff in using the platforms (webinars,
- Research, develop, and support platforms for remote engagement
including Marketing Cloud, Canvas, Google Sites, Zoom, etc.
- Support video and audio recording/editing needs for
celebrations, podcasts, events, and educational training.
Development Stewardship (10%)
- Collect the narratives of alumnx and the impacts of donors to
elevate awareness and increase giving.
- Implement strategies to maintain communication between the
units’ alumni, staff, faculty and students.
- Coordinate with Student Life Development to develop alumni
outreach and response materials.
- Organize Giving Blue Day and other development driven
- Administrative duties may include, connecting across
Institutional and Divisional communication roles on campus.
- Collecting and analyzing data and stay up to date on student
trends Working with IT and other partners to gather information as
needed about students we serve.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree required in business, communications,
information science, or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience communicating
to audiences around diverse cultural topics.
- Expertise in developing and implementing methods of social
media and digital communications for a department or
- Experience organizing multiple priorities by developing and
leading an intentional agenda for emerging and ongoing needs.
- Experience in integrating these methods into a website and
other forms of communication.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and teaching
others how to use them.
These are the criteria that the hiring team will be evaluating
the candidate for:
- Demonstrated self-starter with excellent organizational,
written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of
constituents (staff, faculty, students and diverse groups).
- Written and verbal communication skills (presentations,
training, newsletters, social media, etc.).
- Ability to communicate effectively from an inclusive lens with
sensitivity to the style of justice oriented units.
- Ability to manage projects from conception to
- Savvy with social media, website management, video production,
and electronic communication platforms.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple constituents and
work with cross-functional units.
- Ability to lead units in understanding best practices in public
relations and communication.
- Understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion as outlined
by the university.
Responsible for tracking financial expenses and adhering to
budget for this area of work.
Occasional evening and weekend work required.
The incumbent is required to remain in a stationary position for
extended periods of time with extensive computer work (typing,
editing, research, etc.) Will need to commute to several other
sites regularly. Will need to move equipment less than
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of
employment and applicants for this position will not be sponsored
for work visas.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and
education of the selected candidate.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar
days. The review and selection process may begin as
early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may
be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum
posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative