Haven is one of the premier animal advocacy, rescue, and
rehabilitation organizations in the United States, dedicated to
ending animal suffering. Named after “Pasado,” a beloved donkey who
was brutally tortured to death by three teenagers, Pasado’s Safe
Haven now fights so that other animals can live free from abuse,
neglect, abandonment, and exploitation.
Located on 85 acres one hour northeast of Seattle, Washington,
the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS)-accredited
sanctuary is home to hundreds of engaging and lovable animals. Most
arrived from abuse or neglect and now live their lives in peaceful,
nurturing, healthy surroundings while awaiting their forever
Pasado’s Safe Haven (Pasado’s) has a uniquely comprehensive
approach to ending animal cruelty. In addition to investigating
animal cruelty crimes and providing
sanctuary and rehabilitation to animals, they
for better laws to protect animals and work
the public about how we can all do our part to end animal
cruelty. Pasado’s also offers targeted pet
services for income-qualified individuals and
The Position / Your Role
The Executive Director (ED) of Pasado’s Safe Haven serves as the
executive leader and is responsible for safeguarding the mission
and for the effective and successful management of operations of
Pasado’s as the organization grows its presence and impact.
The ED manages an annual operating budget of $3.8M, and a team
of eight (8) senior leaders who oversee finance and operations,
veterinary medicine, cruelty response and prevention, advocacy and
public engagement, development, communications, sanctuary, and pet
services. Sharing accountability for the wellbeing and
sustainability of the organization, the ED and senior leadership
team manage, motivate, and develop a full staff of approximately
The ED provides leadership and strategic direction for Pasado’s
including managing all fiscal resources and operations;
collaborating with the board of directors to refine and implement
Pasado’s vision, mission, budget, annual goals, and objectives; and
leading human resources functions, public policy and advocacy
agendas, and fund development efforts.
Leadership Abilities / What You Bring
Candidates will be evaluated on the full range of their lived
and learned experience, professional background, volunteer
experience, and direct and transferable skills. Pasado’s is seeking
candidates with a compelling combination of demonstrated experience
and skills in some, or all, of the following areas:
- Experience serving as an Executive Director, Deputy Director,
CEO, COO, CAO, CFO, or similar role(s), or as a senior staff member
of an organization, division, or department of comparable
- Broad understanding of all aspects of running nonprofit
organizations (e.g., Human Resources, Marketing, Strategic
Planning, Fund Development, Facilities, Budgeting, Financial
- Exposure to nonprofit operations, business operations, animal
sanctuaries, or private sector entities – which may come from
board, volunteer, or staff service – is required for success in
- Pasado’s mission is to end animal suffering and exploitation in
all its forms, including in the food system. As such, we are
seeking candidates who are active in or are pursuing a vegan
- Providing exceptional care for abused and exploited animals,
with a focus on rescue, rehabilitation, and rehoming animals.
- Antiracism, diversity, equity and belonging, and fostering a
welcoming, inclusive work environment.
- Transparent, direct, and respectful communication.
- Ensure a strong administrative infrastructure (human resources,
finance, database, technology, internal communications, etc.) that
supports Pasado’s current operations and provides for future
- Articulate and promote the shared vision and develop a
strategic plan for continued growth.
- Develop and cultivate strategic partnerships and establish
networks in the animal welfare community to support program
opportunities and collaboration.
- Develop and facilitate the activities of Pasado’s board of
directors and collaborate with board leadership on shared
- Broaden Pasado’s base of individual supporters and contributors
and obtain support from foundations and corporations.
- Prepare and monitor annual budget, program budgets, capital
expenditures, investments, and manage cashflow and financial
- Collaborate with the board of directors to develop an engaged,
effective, and energized board that is clear on its duties,
responsibilities, and functions.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, motivates, and retains
high-performing, diverse staff and volunteers and nurture a team
identity and environment.
- Serve as a key spokesperson, manage communications, media, and
outreach strategy to enhance visibility for the organization.
Represent Pasado’s, its programs, and successes at community and
- Develop and promote a public policy and advocacy agenda
designed to advance Pasado’s organizational mission.
Other skills & characteristics
- High emotional intelligence (EQ)
- A true lover of all animals
- Calming presence
- Active listener
- Sincere, authentic, and humble
- Business acumen
- Strategic planning, strategic thinker, visionary
- Growth mindset
- Creative, innovative
- Collaborative, approachable, and open minded
- Empathetic, compassionate, and kind
Compensation & Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $165,000 -
The comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Combination of work-from-home and onsite at the sanctuary in
- Medical and Vision insurance – 100% of premiums paid by
- Dental insurance – 50% of premiums paid by employer
- 401(k) retirement savings + 2% company match (fully vested on
- Generous PTO accrual (14 days in year 1, up to 22 days in year
- Nine paid holidays
- Basic life insurance provided if enrolled in group health
- Employee Assistance Program
- Supplemental Insurance Benefits available
- “At cost” veterinary care and pet supplies (when
- Laptop and necessary equipment provided
- Professional dues reimbursement
- Continuing education expense reimbursement
- Onsite vegan food policy
- Bring your dog to work opportunities
- Relocation assistance available
To Be Considered
The position is open until filled, with a priority deadline of
December 2, 2022.
Candidate materials are reviewed on an on-going basis and
initial interviews will begin by mid-November. Please submit a
resume and a two-page (or less) cover letter addressed to Board
Chair, Raine Bergstrom to https://valtasgroup.hire.trakstar.com/jobs/fk0253v/
You may direct questions to Ed Rogan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Emily
Lee at email@example.com.
Pasado's Safe Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At
Pasado’s Safe Haven, we believe compassionate action is fundamental
to dismantling systems of oppression for all living beings. We
courageously live this belief every day through our work to end
animal cruelty and our commitment to respect and
kindness. We can only be successful by embracing the
diversity and power of each individual's lived experience as we all
work together toward an expanded circle of compassion.