Job Opportunity Notice
Russian Riverkeeper is seeking a collaborative, impact-focused,
self-starter with a passion for environmental issues to join our
mission-driven team as Development Director. As Development
Director, the selected candidate will join a competent,
enthusiastic team of staff members, a supportive, hard-working
Board of Directors and committee members, and a growing list of
donors, all of whom are devoted to protecting the Russian River.
You will be joining a team with great momentum and energy that will
help you succeed. This position reports to the Executive Director
and is based in our Healdsburg office with the option to work
remotely with travel to the office as needed.
- Create and implement a multi-year strategic development and
fundraising plan with goal, priorities, strategies, measurable
objectives, and activities.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board members to
achieve annual fundraising goals from major donors, corporations,
foundations, membership, and events.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Communications
Manager to effectively share news about Riverkeeper’s work with
funders and donors through direct communication, social media,
email marketing, and direct mail. Ensure all communications are
consistent with fundraising, development, and brand awareness
- Cultivate and manage donor acquisitions and steward existing,
new, and prospective individual major gift donors with assistance
from the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive membership
program that retains donors, increases individual giving, and
acquires new donors.
- Supervise and mentor development and communications staff.
- With Board and staff assistance, identify and build
relationships with all business communities in the Russian River
- Oversee organization of fundraising events.
- Oversee and mentor all foundation and corporate grant-writing
efforts and assist in preparation of all grant proposals and
- Manage Salesforce donor database.
- Produce detailed development reports highlighting targets for
the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Begin and maintain a planned-giving program.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, sense of humor, is
conscientious, ethical, self-motivated and a quick learner, who
provides follow-through in all areas of responsibility and enjoys
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, finance,
public relations, or closely related discipline is desired. A
“Certified Fund Raising Executive” designation is desirable but not
- Experience in fundraising and development.
Additional skills and abilities include:
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated success in building and
maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with individuals,
family, private and corporate funding sources.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively
to a range of audiences in meetings, over email, and through formal
work product and presentations. Experience adapting communication
style to different cultural environments.
- Exceptional organizational skills combined with attention to
- Experience in staff supervision and working with nonprofit
Boards and committees.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, within time
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office Suite – Excel, Word,
Powerpoint, Outlook. Proficiency in Salesforce or other CRM.
The job requires typical office environment work whether at home
or the office (working on a computer, on phone, etc.) and use of
standard office equipment. Ability to travel to various meetings
and sites throughout the watershed is occasionally needed.
This is a regular, fulltime staff position and is eligible for
Russian Riverkeeper benefit programs. The starting salary range is
$70,000 - $95,000 and is based on experience. The position is open
now and is temporarily remote with option to continue remote work
provided candidate can travel to Healdsburg area as needed.
Please send a cover letter, your resume, and references to
with the subject line “Development Director – last name, first
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the
position is filled and candidates for interview will be contacted.
Please do not contact the office directly.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Russian Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer and highly
values diversity. Russian Riverkeeper maintains a policy of
non-discrimination regarding age, ancestry, color, creed,
disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, or any other class protected by
applicable state or federal law. Women and people of color
are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Russian Riverkeeper:
Russian Riverkeeper has been fighting since 1993 to ensure a
thriving river system and your rights to fishable, swimmable, and
drinkable waters. Russian Riverkeeper supports its river community
by providing science-based advocacy, removing trash, restoring
healthy habitat, and educating youth. Russian Riverkeeper is a
proud member of the international Waterkeeper Alliance and
California Coastkeeper Alliance. Learn more at the www.russianriverkeeper.org