Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks an Alumni + Family
Relations Officer, Affinity Groups + Programs to join the College’s
Institutional Advancement department. Institutional Advancement
(IA) encourages financial support from multiple sources, such as
alumni, parents, students, foundations & corporations, and
utilizes funds raised through these streams to sustain and promote
College priorities determined by the President, Provost, and Deans.
The incumbent is responsible for increasing alumni engagement and
participation, designing and implementing programs, events, and
communication strategies for alumni affinity groups, and ensuring
that groups and programs are inclusive and supportive of RISD’s
diverse alumni community. Responsibilities also include building,
executing, and maintaining programs such as RISD Craft (on-campus
and regional), RISDMade, the Fleet Library Alumni Collection, and
the Alumni Insurance program.
We seek applications from equity-minded candidates who will
thrive in a campus environment that is committed to advancing the
principles of social equity and inclusion, and equal access to
resources and opportunities.
- Identify and recruit alumni volunteers to lead alumni affinity
groups at RISD. In partnership with volunteer leaders, plan, design
and implement a series of in-person, hybrid or virtual programs and
events. Contact, recruit and maintain a pipeline of volunteers for
affinity groups including maintaining and developing training
resources for affinity group volunteers. Proactively identify
alumni interests that align with strategic institutional and alumni
goals and explore the feasibility of and leadership for affinity
- Build, execute and maintain alumni programs:
- In consultation with the Dean of the RISD Libraries,
responsible for the outreach, management and oversight of the Fleet
Library Alumni Collection including the recruitment of new authors
for the collection, campus and virtual events, and promotion of the
collection to alumni.
- Recruit and retain alumni artists and designers to participate
in campus-based and regionally-based RISD Craft programs. Work
collaboratively with vendors, campus partners, and Institutional
Advancement Special Events to execute campus-based programs during
RISD Weekend and Commencement + Reunion Weekend.
- Responsible for the development and execution of the Alumni
Insurance Program, including the budget and fiscal management of
- Meet with campus partners including Careers and Student
Affairs, to plan complementary programming that brings current
students and alumni together around social events, and networking
specific to affinity-based interests and opportunities.
- Work with Advancement Services to ensure that alumni
participation, including registrations, attendance, and
post-attendance follow-up are properly recorded on Raiser's Edge
- Must have knowledge of, or experience with digital, social
media, and diverse mediums of communication.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrated ability to
organize, prioritize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
with close attention to detail and under deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of varying
backgrounds, including but not limited to, racial, ethnic,
religious, gender, cultural, ability, sexual orientation and
- Demonstrated experience with alumni and development databases
(Raiser’s Edge preferred) and strong computer skills in programs
such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to write persuasively and strong interpersonal
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and engaging
- Ability to comfortably and effectively speak in public and make
presentations in meetings.
- Ability to interact and correspond professionally with senior
staff and distinguished alumni.
- Ability to manage and monitor budgets and expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education &
- Minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible alumni
relations and/or development experience with some experience
managing and fostering productive relationships with leadership