AU is seeking a major gift professional to serve as its Major
Gifts Officer to develop and implement our major gift program. The
successful candidate will be responsible for qualifying and
managing an active mid and major gift-level portfolio of roughly
150 donors, implementing strategic and effective donor relations,
and securing planned and estate gifts as a source of blended
· Qualify a portfolio of major and mid-level donors, with
guidance and support from Prospect Research Manager.
· Create and manage individual solicitation goals for each
person in the portfolio.
· Create and execute a moves management plan (including
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship) for each donor that is
driven by that donor’s passions and interests and communication
preferences. Execution of this plan may include travel for
· Secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and
create offers, proposals and asks.
· Support Sr. Director of Development in planned giving
initiatives or outreach.
· Work with Sr. Director of Development to create and execute
appropriate stewardship opportunities for the full spectrum of
donors beyond their portfolio, throughout the year. This includes
segmented communications, letters, campaigns, virtual events and
small in-person events (nationwide).
· Support the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts
of the CEO and other key staff so that they are properly prepared
for each donor interaction that are not directly executed by this
individual. This includes donor profiles, briefing materials,
talking points and follow up.
· Actively record the creation and execution of moves management
plans in CRM system (currently EveryAction).
· Create and maintain reports on portfolio progress using CRM
· Participate in appropriate professional development activities
to keep current with issues and trends in the fundraising
· Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and
· Work with the development department to align efforts and set
· Track and report progress using specific metrics.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Americans United has made the safety of our staff and our
surrounding community a top priority. As a part of that commitment,
AU has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. This
policy states that all AU employees, interns, and fellows (AU
staff) who work regularly or occasionally in the office are
required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. If a candidate selected
for hire has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a
COVID-19 vaccination, a medical exemption should be requested from
Americans United employees have been working remotely since the
start of the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue working remotely
for the next year as we discern our longer-term plan for remote and
in-office work. Occasional participation in in-person meetings and
events at AU headquarters in Washington, DC, is required.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $80,000-$90,000. Americans
United offers a comprehensive benefit package including employer
paid premiums for health care, dental, vision, life insurance,
short-term disability, long-term disability, and a 401(k) with
match and commuter subsidy.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please submit a thoughtful, relevant cover letter and resume.
Applications without cover letters will not be considered
· Strong oral communication, written communication, and
· Established track record of soliciting and closing five and
six figure gifts.
· Excellent organizational and people skills.
· The ability to maintain accountability and to work
independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a
cooperative and coordinated team.
· Undergraduate degree required.
· Minimum of 5-8 years of successful hands-on experience in
cultivation and solicitation of major donors, prospects, and
knowledge of blended gifts (i.e. planned gifts).
· Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview
that aligns with AU's mission.
· Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships
· Conducts oneself in a professional, friendly and truthful
· Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several