This individual will be a right hand and trusted advisor
to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), overseeing all
administrative and operational aspects of a dynamic and growing
Development team. They will be responsible for their own
significant fundraising portfolio and will also support the CDO on
staff development and day-to-day donor stewardship.
Working as the department deputy leader, this person will also
help oversee major gifts cultivation events and execution,
management of prospect research, compliance with and use of the
Salesforce CRM in partnership with the Development Operations
Manager, and facilitating special projects and research to assist
the CDO in their leadership role in the organization.
Fundraising and Donor Stewardship
• This role will manage their own portfolio of high net worth
individuals, with an expectation that they will be responsible to
raise a minimum of between $750K - $1M annually, with specific
annual growth metrics including ratings system
Human Resources and Staff Development
• Provide guidance and fundraising leadership by example to junior
team members, directing them to relevant training and
• Oversee staff attendance and compliance and interface with Asia
Society’s Human Resources Information System platform. Coordinate
with the People and Culture department on employee issues on the
• Review and first line-approve staff expenses in the Concur
expense system. Keep CDO up to date with regular financial and
fundraising reports and relevant Dashboards, leveraging CRM
• In coordination with the CDO help prepare annual budgets and
regular budget updates throughout the fiscal year. Liaise with
other departments as required to help them develop fundraising
goals and strategies.
• Working closely with the CDO, assist in interfacing with the
Digital and Communications team on outreach campaigns and
materials, including print, online and video. Coordinate
communication, including agendas, for all internal and external
• Liaise with the IT and Salesforce teams, representing Development
needs and issues to ensure timely solution.
• In coordination with Prospect Research Manager, oversee
preparation of briefs and background reports used by senior staff
and the Major Gifts team.
• Create streamlining processes with the CDO to make the
Development team’s work more efficient, increasing ROI.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, specializing in membership,
development, sales or marketing, business administration, or a
related field. At least eight years of related experience in
prospect research, fundraising/development experience, and
non-profit experience strongly preferred. Should show progressive
leadership experience and skills.
• Intermediate knowledge of donor types and understanding of
fundraising processes and donor cycles.
• Must have strong qualitative and quantitative analytical and
research skills and a proven track record as a creative problem
• Experience with budgets and financial software systems is
required. Experience with a CRM is needed, with knowledge of
Salesforce and Marketing Cloud a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with high-level trustees
and donors with total discretion and confidentiality.
• Must have exceptional communication skills (verbal and written)
that include sensitivity to donor information.
• Must show strong team-building and collaboration skills and
demonstrated respect for building a team culture of Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion with an ability to effectively relate to a
• Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to quickly and
concisely synthesize large amounts of information.
• Proficient in Salesforce (preferable), MS Office (intermediate
level) and experience with relational database such as
• Knowledge of information systems including a variety of software,
internet, and various databases, and knowledge of prospect research
ethics, including statements by APRA and CASE, helpful.
Asia Society offers a competitive salary, as well as a
comprehensive benefits package. For benefits information please
visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and click on “Employee
Benefits” to view our full benefits summary.
ABOUT ASIA SOCIETY:
Asia Society, founded by John D. Rockefeller the 3rd in 1956, is
a global non-profit dedicated to identifying future pathways for
Asia and the world which enhance peace, prosperity, freedom,
equality, and sustainability. Headquartered in NYC, with 15 Centers
located in Asia, the US and Europe, the Asia Society has a dynamic
and impressive Board of Trustees of more than 70 international
leaders representing thought leadership in policy, the arts,
education as well as in governance and philanthropy.
Asia Society is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and
empowering workplace. We believe that engaging staff, interns, and
volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better realize
our mission of navigating shared futures.
Asia Society offers a generous benefits package including
health, dental, and vision coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan,
numerous paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, self-development
hours, and more. Please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and
click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits summary
Salary range: $131,000-$150,000
Benefit package highlights:
• An HRA plan (fully funded by Asia Society) supplements our
medical plan and covers the full annual deductible.
• After 1 year of service (1,000 hours), Asia Society contributes
6% of gross earnings to an eligible employee’s 403(b) account,
regardless of whether the employee makes their own
• Asia Society offers Self-Development time off, including
Self-Development Summer Fridays between July 4th and Labor Day.
Asia Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values
diversity in the workplace. Women and people of color are strongly
encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role, all interested applicants must
submit a completed application to the following email:
A completed application must include:
• Resume or CV
• Cover Letter
• Salary Requirements
• Subject line containing: Managing Director of Development