The Supportive Housing Network of New York
The Supportive Housing Network of New York (the Network)
represents more than 200 nonprofit organizations that have created
over 55,000 units of supportive housing across New York State. The
Network uses advocacy, public education, training, technical
assistance, research, and policy analysis to increase the public's
understanding of supportive housing – affordable housing with
voluntary services for formerly homeless people with disabilities
and special needs. The Network identifies and shares best practices
that continually improve the model’s effectiveness and, most
importantly, encourages the creation of enough supportive housing
to end homelessness among the most vulnerable New Yorkers.
Currently, our members are adding thousands of units of supportive
housing per year under two historic initiatives: the State’s Empire
State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), creating 20,000 units,
and the City’s NYC 15/15, creating 15,000 units, both over fifteen
The Data Analyst is full-time, based in New York City – or
remotely based in the tri-state area (NY, NJ or CT) and will report
to the Director of Policy and Planning. As the single data-focused
position on an 11-person staff, this position will lead all aspects
of the Network’s data collection, database management, and data
analysis, with regards to the existing supportive housing portfolio
and the upcoming pipeline.
The Data Analyst should be a creative data storyteller, who will
work across teams to ensure we are utilizing our data in the most
relevant, accurate and compelling ways to advance the
organization’s mission. The analyst will design and present regular
reports to our staff and relevant stakeholders, as well as package
data appropriately for published reports, presentations, testimony,
and press as needed. This position will also work with staff and an
external implementation consultant to migrate the Network’s housing
data from MS Access to Salesforce, helping to shape our Salesforce
buildout to best meet the organization’s needs.
In addition to the core responsibilities outlined, the Senior
Data Analyst position will develop and lead the organization’s data
collection and utilization strategies to help shape our budgetary
and policy agendas and inform our advocacy efforts.
Depending on the candidate’s skills and interest, there is
flexibility in the role to include writing policy reports, drafting
and delivering testimony to City Council, and coordinating and
facilitating meetings with members and government partners.
However, these are not essential functions of the position and will
not be required.
- Own the development and maintenance of the Network’s housing
data infrastructure, which will ultimately be in Salesforce.
- Project manage Salesforce configuration and system enhancements
related to housing data.
- Track the supportive housing development pipeline and details
of specific projects as they progress and enter new data in the
- Ensure excellent data quality by conducting systematic reviews
of data for existing supportive housing programs.
- Proactively identify and propose alternatives to improve the
consistency and accuracy of the Network’s housing data.
- Analyze and synthesize data to surface trends and information
related to the supportive housing industry in New York State.
- Respond to data queries from members, government partners,
funders, and the media.
- Design and configure dashboards to meet the changing needs of
the policy and advocacy team.
- Transform large and complex data into accessible and
understandable visuals to be used in fact sheets, reports, and
presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Assess functionality of Excel for the organization’s data
analysis and visualization purposes and make software
recommendations as needed.
- Coordinate, administer, and analyze surveys of Network members
- Alongside Network staff, provide hands-on assistance with the
planning and implementation of the Network’s annual events: the
Gala (600+ attendees), the Conference (1,600+ attendees), the
Annual Meeting (120+ attendees), and Lobby Day in Albany (100+
Senior Data Analyst Responsibilities
- Develop and manage strategy for data collection and analysis to
shape policy and budget agenda, identifying new data sources as
- Direct internal efforts to better incorporate data into
advocacy strategy and materials.
- Lead data visualization aspects and reporting for funders.
- Contribute to the writing of reports and fact sheets.
- Draft and deliver testimony to City Council.
- Assist with coordination and facilitation of advocacy meetings
and member working groups.
- At least one year of experience in a data analyst position or
similar role. 3 years of relevant experience required for senior
- Database management experience - Salesforce preferred.
- Either a background knowledge of affordable housing development
and finance or a demonstrated ability to learn the language and
complexities of a technical industry
- Demonstrated commitment to issues of homelessness and/or
- Public policy experience
- Strong quantitative skills, including ability to manage large
- Detail-oriented, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Excellent project management; thinks ahead, estimates time
required for tasks, communicates challenges early and often with
supervisor and team members, and looks for solutions
- Strong research, communication and analytical skills
- Demonstrates initiative and ownership of quality work
- Open to input and feedback
- Strong Excel skills, including ability to perform V-lookups and
- Proficiency in other Microsoft Office applications (Outlook,
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as execute projects
- Creates and supports an environment which fosters teamwork,
cooperation, respect and diversity
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range:
- Data Analyst $75,000 - $82,000
- Senior Data Analyst $83,000 - $90,000
Exact salary commensurate with demonstrated expertise and
- 100% employer covered medical, dental, vision, and life
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions
- Hybrid work schedule; a remote schedule is possible depending
- Generous PTO & winter holiday office closure
- Office closes at 1pm on Fridays
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary and
title expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Data
Analyst/Senior Data Analyst” in the subject line of your email. No
phone calls, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Network is an equal opportunity employer. No individual will
be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, age, gender,
sex, genetics, sexual orientation, creed, religion, national
origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran
status, political or union affiliation, or marital status. This
policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including
recruitment, hiring, placement, compensation, benefits, leaves of
absence, training and apprenticeship, employee development,
promotion, demotion, transfer, lay-off, recall and termination.
The Network is committed to fostering, cultivating and
preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our
employees are the most valuable assets we have as an organization.
The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences,
knowledge, innovation, self-expression and unique talent that our
employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not
only our culture, but our reputation and achievements as