Reporting to the Director of Advancement Services, the Associate
Director of Prospect Research and Information Systems is
responsible for providing key support to the Institute’s
fundraising efforts, serving as an integral resource of information
essential to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship of donors and prospective donors, including the
preparation of complex briefings and donor profiles for meetings
and events. In addition to prospect research, analytics, and
strategic support of fundraising, communications, and institutional
administration, the incumbent will be responsible for data
integrity, information systems management and database
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Prospect Research, Analytics, and Strategic Support
- Compile, analyze, and interpret data from a broad range of
sources in order to:
- Evaluate/rate donors and prospects and identify new prospects
for annual giving, planned giving, and major gifts – approximately
250 actively managed prospects.
- Provide key support to inform prospect strategies,
collaborating with prospect managers to create and maintain
prospect pipeline, providing appropriate analysis and reports to
support decision making and systematically track progress.
- Identify funding opportunities, with particular focus on
detecting/discovering relationships among individuals,
organizations and groups.
- Draft confidential and thoroughly researched profiles, reports,
and briefings tailored to the needs of senior staff, the Director,
and Board members.
- Rate and track the prioritized list of Nominating and
Governance committee prospects.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from the Chief Development
Officer (CDO) and other development colleagues.
- Support stewardship planning for major gift and principal gift
donors, as needed.
- Support Nominating and Governance committee activities,
communications, and meetings. Produce meeting minutes and lists of
follow-up responsibilities, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Donor Relations in
the compilation of donor lists for Annual Report and invitation
lists for events.
Information Systems Management
- Provide training and oversight of development staff on database
use and all compliance matters.
- Work with the Director of Advancement Services to develop,
implement, and manage systems, policies, and procedures for
tracking donors and prospects.
- Collaborate with relevant Development team members to
streamline processes and procedures for the entry, moves
management, acknowledgement, and stewardship of gifts. Assist with
data management systems for donor events, as needed.
- Regularly conduct primary and secondary research on best
practices and trends in fundraising data management and reporting,
including IRS charitable giving guidelines.
- Maintain fluency in current technologies and advance skills in
emerging technologies as needed, via courses, webinars, and
Database Administration (20%)
- Collaborate with the Director of Advancement Services and IT
staff to ensure database and other tools are current, fully
functional, and effective in serving the needs and advancing the
goals of the Office of Development.
- Work with the Development Database Administrator to provide
advice regarding the following primary responsibilities:
- Maintenance of Raiser’s Edge database, including gift entry;
consistent, logical, searchable entry of biographical data, contact
information, donor/prospect notes and actions, attributes, media,
and events. Supervise maintenance and editing of existing
procedures manual; development of new procedures as necessary.
- Monthly reconciliation of gifts by donor/fund with Accounting
- Weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual gift reporting. Other
reporting as needed.
- Consistent and accurate flow of information between P-3
database and Raiser’s Edge database.
- Support development team with queries as necessary (mailing
lists, holiday card list, targeted appeals, etc.)
All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the
Chief Development Officer (10%)
- Excellent quantitative analysis and strategic thinking
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Strong organizational, written, oral, presentation and
- Ability to forge relationships with colleagues throughout the
department and across the Institute fostering teamwork and
collaborating to drive results and achieve collective goals.
- Project management expertise; ability to prioritize and manage
deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously, maintaining
flexibility and attention to detail as well as grace and
effectiveness under pressure/short deadlines.
- Ability to present data clearly and concisely in a variety of
ways to meet the needs of a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of best practices and ability to implement new
systems to conform to these practices at the level appropriate to
IAS fundraising efforts.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to use computer technology to
efficiently accomplish work, using e-mail, the Internet, database
management software, and Microsoft Office programs, including Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Knowledge of Raiser's Edge
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive
information and material in a discrete manner.
- Development Database Administrator
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience required.
- Prior experience in prospect research and fundraising
- Extensive knowledge of online research services and wealth
- Expertise in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge system.
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse range of assignments
and projects with high efficiency, attention to detail and
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as
a team member required.
Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to
work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a
medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity
institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We
believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity,
recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array
of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective
solutions, to the organization. As a community
dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to
the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which
includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent
retirement plan, and a generous paid time off
program. Interested candidates please apply to
the position at: