Reports To: Director of Advancement
Direct Reports: None
Salary Band 73,043
Classification: Full Time, Salary
Location: Washington, DC
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded
by former US Vice President Al
Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate
crisis by making urgent action a
necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to
help solve the climate crisis. We
do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and
communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive
a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world,
one where all voices are heard
and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage
applications from people with
these identities or who are members of other historically
marginalized communities. We
encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and
justice statement on our
Our Washington, DC office is open. Our current policy is a
hybrid approach with an option for our staff to come in at 20% of
the time. We are hiring in the DC (DMV) region only.
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced prospect
researcher to expand the organization’s fundraising efforts and
provide critical support to the Advancement Department. The
Prospect Research & Development Manager will execute the
department’s prospect research strategy, including pipeline
development and portfolio management, conduct prospect research, as
well as provide strategic direction to senior management on
prospective donors with major gift and principal gift capacity.
This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of a prospect
research program, while working independently and collaboratively
with a small fundraising team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not
limited to the following:
Prospect Research & Identification – 55%
- Develops, executes, and leads the organization’s prospect
research strategy, identifying and qualifying prospects to support
Climate Reality’s work.
- Directs and leads research workflow and scope of work of
research team members, including the management of research
- Leads and conducts in-depth research on prospective individual
donors and foundations for significant financial impact, utilizing
wealth and propensity screenings, relationship mapping science
tools, public records, and other sources. Significant emphasis
placed on identification of new external prospects regionally or by
issue to support organizational programming and priorities.
- Synthesizes research to develop concise and thorough research
reports, profiles, briefing documents, and recommendations for
President/CEO, Chairman, board members, and gift officers.
- Fulfills timely research requests for leadership as
- Actively identifies and qualifies institutional giving
prospects and opportunities.
- Becomes familiar and well-versed in current supporters and
their background, and proactively share up to date information,
current events, and opportunities with gift officers and
Prospect Management – 25%
- Implements and executes progressive pipeline moves management,
as well as portfolio development and optimization to ensure
refined, focused, and balanced portfolios for gift officers.
- Plans, organizes, and participates in regular prospect review
meetings, providing key donor insights and strategy to gift
officers, and advising on plans for engagement and
Prospect Analytics – 15%
- Formulates data analytics tools and practices to proactively
identify new prospects for pipeline, patterns and trends in
prospect pool, and strategic recommendations to gift officers and
- Manages and maintains Salesforce reports, dashboards, tracking
systems and lists to monitor fundraising performance, prospect
analysis, and portfolio upkeep (including assigning and monitoring
engagement and cultivation tasks).
- Prioritizes and ensures data accuracy and integrity of donor
information in Salesforce, including regular upkeep of
Other – 5%:
- Actively identifies new research tools and processes.
- Manages research intern as needed.
- Uphold organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, justice,
and inclusion by identifying areas to increase diversity of
prospect and donor pool.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and values, and the
principles of diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion
- 2-3 years’ experience in a prospect research field
- Proven track record of identifying and qualifying prospects,
with emphasis on external prospects
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information
into digestible and accessible information for leadership and
- Innate curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive
- Familiarity with utilizing analytics in a CRM, Salesforce
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once, and balance time
sensitive and changing priorities.
- Ability to think strategically, take initiative, and use sound
- Ability to work independently with a small fundraising team and
- A self-starter
- Experience and advanced understanding of research tools and
software, iWave preferred
- Knowledge of APRA’s Body of Knowledge a plus
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Optimistic and positive attitude a must
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee
medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other
fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual
orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local,
state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of
employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer,
demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational
activities, and termination.
Please send cover letter and resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org with
‘Prospect Research & Development Manager’ in the subject