The Opportunity | WellPartners
WellPartners offers free dental and vision health services that
provide preventive and restorative dental and vision care to
uninsured children and adults in the Midlands. We connect community
volunteers and partners to help uninsured and under-insured people
in the Midlands gain access to the health care services their need
to live healthier, better lives. WellPartners currently
operates as an LLC owned by United Way of the Midlands (UWM).
Oversight is provided by an Advisory Council that works in
collaboration with the Board of Directors of United Way of the
The Community | Columbia, South
Columbia is the growing, vibrant capital of South
Carolina. The city is home to state government and has 5
colleges and universities including the flagship campus of the
University of South Carolina. There are many growing
industries in the area, including life sciences, information
technology, health care and higher education, including the Moore
School of Business, rated the number 1 international business
school in the nation. Sporting News recently recognized
Columbia as one of the “Best Sports Cities;” residents love to
support their local college teams including the University of South
Carolina’s Gamecocks. The city also has a more refined side
and is home to the Columbia Museum of Art, the SC Philharmonic
Orchestra, the Columbia City Ballet, an internationally recognized
public library system and a myriad of performing arts groups.
Columbia has received numerous accolades for its cost of living,
climate, job outlook, education, the arts, health care and
The Position| Executive Director
WellPartners is seeking its first Executive
Director. WellPartners currently operates as an LLC owned by UWM
but seeks to transition into a standalone non-profit over the next
two years. We are seeking an individual to lead this journey and
grow the capacity of the clinics to serve more people in need. The
candidate will lead a strong team of clinic professionals and
volunteers. During the transition, oversight will be provided by an
Advisory Council that works in collaboration with the Board of
Directors of UWM. This position currently reports to the United Way
of the Midlands Vice President for Community Impact.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Vision and Strategic Planning
- Establish the organization, grow, and lead the staff, and
expand organizational capacity to support future growth.
- Develop and implement the long-range strategic plan for
- Embrace the mission of WellPartners and proactively articulate
the importance of the providing essential dental and eye care
services to the community.
- Lead the identification, engagement, recruitment, and
orientation of new Board members.
Operations & Programs
- Establish, implement, and update organizational goals,
objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Plan, organize, and implement programmatic initiatives around
patient care in conjunction with clinic staff.
- Monitor and evaluate operational effectiveness, while
implementing changes required for improvement and adjusting
programmatic goals as needed.
- Develop effective and efficient support systems for
WellPartners. Such systems include information technology services,
training, procurement, personnel, and appropriate databases.
- Coordinate research, planning and evaluation of programs
delivered by WellPartners that meet local healthcare needs of the
- Represent WellPartners before community groups, local and state
committees, conferences, roundtables, agency functions, annual
meetings, and others as requested to foster understanding and
allegiance in support of the organization’s mission.
- Allocate resources in accordance with patient, provider, and
staff needs emphasizing considerations of efficiency and
- Ensure long-term sustainability of WellPartners through
analysis of and response to fiscal, public awareness/image, patient
care, partner, and other related opportunities.
- Promote diversity and a sincere commitment to collaboration and
- Foster continued education and support for volunteers and
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategic plan for
philanthropic advancement with measurable outcomes that compliment
and support the WellPartners Strategic Plan.
- Create and execute a strategic fundraising plan that includes
an annual development plan.
- Maintain and enhance current relationships with local and state
leaders and other officials.
- Proactively seek new and diversified philanthropic
- Build and maintain a personal portfolio of top prospects and
- Direct all fundraising responsibilities including pipeline
development, prospect tracking, strategy, and task assignment.
- Provide direction to maximize cultivation events and maintain
consistent gift activity.
- Collaborate with UWM staff wherever appropriate, such as in
shared grant proposals.
- Oversee regular communications with all audiences (both
internal and external) to promote fundraising efforts.
- Design and produce fundraising materials and collateral
(customized donor proposals, booklets, brochures, signage, etc.),
as appropriate with the fundraising timeline.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and ethical issues related to
- Maintain an active affiliation with the profession of
healthcare philanthropy, and
- Collaborate with UWM on major fundraising initiatives as
Branding and Marketing
- Promote strategic and effective communications locally and to
- Establish effective cases for support for fundraising
- Develop effective relationships with volunteer leadership,
human service agencies, and
government representatives to identify and assist in solving
community problems and develop
long-range strategic plans to meet community health and human
- Inspire support and promote public awareness of the
achievements and successes of
WellPartners to citizens, the philanthropic community, and local,
state, and federal officials, and
- Serve as the primary spokesperson, representative, and
ambassador of WellPartners.
Qualities and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, Advance degree preferred in
management, business/public administration, policy, public health,
or related field.
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years of substantial senior level experience,
including fundraising, strategic planning, organizational growth
and development, staff management, and external relations skills,
preferably in hospitals or health care setting.
- Demonstrated successful supervisory experience as a manager,
director, or vice president in a non-profit setting.
- Proven ability to work effectively with underrepresented
communities including communities of color, low-income populations,
youth, women, women of color and/or rural populations.
- Experience working collaboratively and transparently with a
Board of Directors or similar volunteer leadership group (with an
emphasis on strategic planning and organizational growth).
- Experience with the implementation of comprehensive fundraising
plans with evidence of effectiveness in marketing, solicitation of
donors, and key performance indicators.
- Demonstrated experience with direct solicitation, annual
giving, major and planned gifts, and capital campaigns.
- Previous financial oversight and budget management
responsibility for an organization of comparable (or larger) size
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with multiple
priorities and with attention to accuracy, details, and
- Ability to lead and inspire staff to build an effective
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; writing
samples may be requested.
- A sense of empathy in supporting patients and their
- Knowledge of public relations and marketing techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of non-profit fundraising
- Knowledge of generally accepted principles of financial
management as they relate to non-profit organizations.
- Superior interpersonal skills with track record of developing
and sustaining strong benefactor relationships with organizations
- Demonstrated responsibility in maintaining strict confidence as
it relates to donor relationships as well as the privacy of
patients and families.
- Knowledge of board governance and skill in cultivating board
- Demonstrated knowledge of database management and software used
Capital Development Services has been retained to guide the
search for the WellPartners. Applicants for the position
should apply online and must provide a letter stating how the
candidate’s experience matches the position requirements, a current
resume, and a list of three references. Additional inquiries
should be sent to Jen Tozier: email@example.com