The American Battlefield Trust, the nation’s premier historic
land preservation nonprofit, seeks a Database
Manager responsible for the performance, integrity, and
security of the Trust's CRM system, EveryAction.
Location: Washington, DC (Hybrid
Reports To: Director of Development
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt
General Scope of the Position:
The Database Manager is responsible for the performance,
integrity, and security of the Trust’s CRM system, EveryAction. The
key objectives for this role are to understand business objectives
and develop and execute plans for system enhancement and
deployment; drive the development of policies and procedures;
maintain data integrity; design and deliver effective user quality
assurance and training programs; and actively manage
software/service provider relationships. This position is
also responsible for managing a Donor Services Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the Donor Services Coordinator.
- Monitor performance metrics and develop remediation plans as
- Provide consultative services to the entire organization in all
matters relating to the CRM.
- When established, actively participate in the organization’s
CRM& Data Governance framework.
- Oversee reporting and analysis of the Trust’s fundraising
revenue, ensuring that it is timely, accurate and easily presented
to the Senior Management Team.
- Partner with the Trust’s leadership to understand the overall
fundraising strategy and align the CRM system with those business
- Lead data gathering and analysis efforts to evaluate business
needs and establish short- to long-term plans for addressing those
needs through existing or new technology solutions.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency with which
staff use the CRM system and develop strategies for improving and
further leveraging the system.
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of the latest fundraising
technology trends, software features, and services, and adopt those
that provide benefit for the Trust’s fundraising.
Policy and Procedure Development
- Manage CRM software provider and other external service
providers engaged in response processing and fulfillment, data
- Sets priorities and standards to ensure accurate and timely
coding and processing of data by service providers.
- Work with software provider to coordinate service tickets,
escalations, and training needs.
System Training and
- Develop and maintain Policies and Procedures for the Trust that
guide staff on the proper usage of the CRM system.
- Oversee revenue processing and ensure compliance with Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and industry standards.
- Work with IT to ensure the CRM system is PCI
Data Quality Monitoring
- Identify CRM system training needs – both initial and ongoing –
for all of the Trust’s staff who leverage the CRM system and/or
data (e.g., CEO, staff within Finance, etc.).
- Create (or oversee the creation of) appropriate training
materials and conduct (or oversee the conduction of) training
- Proactively notify the user community of changes and
enhancements to the CRM system and/or changes to business practices
to ensure consistent and continuous productivity.
- Work with fundraisers and other operational resources to define
critical, constituent data elements that should be monitored for
- Define the measures of quality (e.g., completeness, validity,
accuracy, consistency, conformance to business rules, format, etc.)
and error thresholds for each key data element.
- Oversee the development of processes and tools (queries,
reports, and inherent diagnostic tools within the CRM system) that
allow data quality to be proactively monitored on a weekly,
monthly, quarterly, or annual basis depending on the criticality of
each data element.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of plans to address data
quality issues that exceed error thresholds.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university or
- Minimum of seven (7) years of information systems
- Minimum of five (5) years of nonprofit, CRM systems experience
both with traditional CRMs, as well as digital platforms.
- Knowledge of EveryAction is valued and a plus.
- Previous role managing fundraising operations within a
- Solid understanding of the principles of database management,
systems development lifecycle, and business process workflow.
- Strong business analysis skills, with proven experience taking
business requirements from concept to execution in fundraising
systems that delivered the desired results.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high
degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated personnel supervision skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for preserving America’s history by saving endangered
Civil War, Revolutionary War, and War of 1812 battlefields
To apply for the position, please send your resume, cover
letter, salary requirements, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No calls, please. Salary is commensurate with experience, and
we offer excellent benefits.
At the American Battlefield Trust, we build parks and tell
stories — the narrative threads that make up the rich tapestry of
our nation. Our culture calls for hardworking,
entrepreneurial individuals that take calculated, intelligent risks
and are always looking for opportunities to learn and improve.
Our staff is united by a commitment to excellence and a
passion for keeping American history alive. Find out more
about our staff and benefits https://www.battlefields.org/about/employment
Since 1987, the Trust has saved more than 55,000 acres of
hallowed battlefield land from the Revolutionary War through the
Civil War. We have reached millions of students and other
life-long learners through our education programs. As our
nation heads towards its 250th anniversary in 2026, we are looking
to grow even more and build upon our previous successes.
The American Battlefield Trust is an Equal Opportunity