Who We Are
Spark the Journey is a nonprofit organization that provides
mentorship and a community of support for young adults to
chart their own paths to achieving college and career
success. Spark the Journey is continuing Capital Partners for
Education’s legacy and is growing into a national community.
Today, Spark the Journey supports more than 500 mentees as they
enter young adulthood. Spark the Journey’s unique mentorship
approach fosters long-lasting relationships between mentors and
mentees as young adults choose and pursue the education, career
path, or personal goals they want to achieve—with a community of
support behind them.
About the Role
The Development Manager works with Spark the
Journey’s Development team
to support strategic fundraising goals by supervising
the Development Coordinator and overseeing the donor database,
stewarding and cultivating a portfolio
of donors, assisting with grants
management, and ensuring all development
processes are executed effectively, including data
audits, donor gift acknowledgements, donor
communications, and donor reports. This position reports to
the Director of Development.
Development Process & Database Management
- Oversee and manage the development team’s database
(Salesforce), to ensure that all systems and processes are
effectively supporting fundraising efforts.
- Support refinements to development systems where
- Establish and regularly review an efficient reconciliation
process with Spark’s accountants.
- Work with the Development Director to ensure that
senior leadership is
receiving development information in a timely
- Manage institutional grants, including reports,
submissions, and additional paperwork as needed
- Manage all aspects of individual donor
development for mid-level and annual fund donors, including
donor identification, cultivation,
solicitation, acknowledgement, and stewardship
- Work with the Development Coordinator and Director of
Development to inspire donors to move up the gift
- Collaborate with the programs team to identify mentors for the
development pipeline and implement the appropriate stewardship
Communications & Events
- Collaborate with the Communications team on fundraising
projects, including monthly giving programs, special appeals, and
peer to peer fundraising projects
- Engage effectively with donors and
stakeholders via email, phone calls, virtual calls, or
occasional in-person travel
- Support Spark’s direct mail and digital
fundraising campaigns, with a focus on increasing mentor
support and securing recurring/multi-year
- Support all aspects of fundraising events for Spark the
Journey, including the Annual Gala and other stewardship
- Attend events as needed to elevate Spark’s brand
- Other responsibilities as necessary to support team and
- Hire, onboard, and supervise a full-time Development
Coordinator to support administrative, database, and annual fund
- Assess the Development Coordinator’s performance based on
metrics and benchmarks on a routine basis
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least three (3) to five (5) years of experience
working in nonprofit development.
- Proficiency working in CRMs, preferably Salesforce, to
document gift data, create reports, and support development
- Experience with donor stewardship, even if
the involvement was indirect
to manage various development processes
to meet annual fundraising targets.
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving and organizational
skills, with an ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple
- Display a collaborative attitude while
demonstrating respect and empathy for diverse people
and members of Spark’s community.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to engage with
- Passion for Spark’s mission in helping
low-income and first-generation-to-college students obtain a
college degree and career readiness skills
We are not able to sponsor employment visas for this position.
Applicants for this position should be legally able to work full
time in the United States for 12 months.
How You Will Be Compensated
The salary range for this position is $53,000 -
$69,200 annually, depending on skills and
experiences brought to the role. To counter pay inequality and
uphold internal parity, Spark uses a non-negotiable salary system.
Our goal is to offer a competitive salary that also meets our
equity guidelines. Rather than negotiating, we offer a
comprehensive benefits package.
Spark is currently operating remotely, but the person in this
role will be expected to reside in the Washington, D.C. metro area
to attend events to elevate Spark's brand awareness. Spark expects
to transition to a hybrid work model in the future.