Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate
change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people
like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit
with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30
countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate
pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the
effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can
have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to
governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, https://www.edf.org/our-mission-and-values.
Click or tap if you trust this link."
data-linkindex="0">values and https://www.edf.org/diversity.
Click or tap if you trust this link."
href="https://www.edf.org/diversity" target="_blank" rel="noopener"
data-auth="Verified" data-linkindex="1">commitment to
diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place
to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join
Please include a cover letter with
The Major Gifts Officer,
Qualification will be part of a national development
team responsible for generating over $300 million in annual major
gifts, with plans to drastically increase that amount in the coming
years. S/he will be responsible for managing a portfolio of
around 150 donors and prospects nationally, with a particular focus
on donor qualification. Working closely with senior
professionals in the national development department and program
staff, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to qualify, cultivate,
solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental
Defense Fund’s national and international agenda.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Senior Director of
- Qualify a portfolio of donors who already have some
relationship with EDF (i.e. through membership) and assess whether
they should be managed in Major Gift portfolios. Develop and
execute a strategic plan for doing this qualification work
efficiently and quickly, with an emphasis on donors who can make
future five and six figure gifts.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising
strategies as part of the national development team, in order to
continue the exponential growth of revenue coming from individual
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program
staff and volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of major
gifts prospects. Staff meetings and appropriately brief program
staff for meetings.
- Effectively represent and articulate the work of EDF,
presenting a compelling case for support of the organization.
- Stay abreast of changes and innovations in federal and state
tax laws that may be relevant to major gifts prospects.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for
potential donors, working closely with the donor communications
department to ensure there are compelling, visionary program ideas
to present to donors and prospects.
- Assist in setting and meeting annual income goals for major
gifts prospects in portfolio.
- Assist other development officers on special projects or
efforts that contribute to the organization’s larger regional and
national development goals.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from
all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and
empowered to address the environmental and organizational
challenges in alignment with EDF values.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser.
- Well-honed skills in donor qualification and cultivation
- At least six years of professional experience in nonprofit
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; a high level of comfort with
direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent
writing ability and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases.
- Creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity. High level of
discretion and respect for donor privacy.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work
well as part of team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Willingness to travel out of state.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 92,000 - 101,000
USD which takes into account factors such as
candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal
opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis prohibited by law.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site